Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
There's a lot of confusion about this whole "AI" thing. It's not one thing. AI has many, many facets. Apple has employed machine learning for decades, but that's a totally different kind of technology from the "generative AI" that stormed onto the scene last year. Open AI was working on their tech for 10 years before the "ChatGPT era" was born, so I guess Appe can't be held totally unaccountable, but to say that Siri fell behind is a reach.

Siri does what s/he's designed to very well for most cases. S/he is vastly improved since the inauguration. Any claim otherwise is heavily biased.
Ha she thought. Siri seems less capable now than it did like 7 years ago. Sure doesn’t accomplish my HomeKit commands like it did years ago.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
They’re specifically saying they’re not making a GPT chat-bot. There are a number of ways to read that. The optimistic read is that they have a more useful and interesting implementation of AI on iPhone. A smarter, more capable Siri does not have to be a chat-bot to be vastly better.
What I hope that they will do is to graft a large action model onto Siri to interpret user intent and to coordinate with multiple apps and services to respond to the request. One of those services could be an external chatbot, just as the current Siri will use external web search results for some responses (maybe too often).

Think of something like the Rabbit R1 but internal to the phone/computer

Reactions: Surf Monkey

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Looks like Apple is resting on their laurels when it comes to AI.

Apple probably saw it coming, but couldn’t do anything about it because of their position on privacy. They’re in the same position today, hence their last resort partnership with Google and Baidu.

Generative AI ain’t happening on a local device any time soon. Siri isn’t going to help rewrite messages or help finish a report without sending that info to the cloud. You can’t have a good conversation or make good recommendations without sharing personal content. Apple doesn’t do that with their focus on privacy, so they’ll fall behind until AI models get small enough and local processing is faster.

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

desslr

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
Of course it won’t! Apple didn’t even know what the word AI meant until Tim Cook read about ChatGPT in the newspaper.

Now it’s all hands on deck… cancel all other projects, get them on this new shiny toy… ‘lets come late to the party but be better’ BAU.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
This period reminds me a lot like the time in the early to mid 90's when the web and browsers were suddenly getting attention and everyone was scrambling to have their own browser. Neither Apple nor Microsoft had their own browser at the start. You had some open source engines and some independents like Netscape. Apple took an open source engine and built it into Webkit which spawned Safari and Chrome. It took a couple of years for them to really embrace the browsers but they did get on board.

Yes, Apple is behind in some aspects of AI. Though Apple have been doing AI (not counting Siri) for several years it is not the current flavor of the day ChartGPT-style so they need to look outside for that functionality for now. Eventually they will either build their own or fully integrate with a third party LLM. In a couple of years, this current controversy will be forgotten.

desslr

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
Giannandrea, a former tech executive at Google, has been leading Apple’s A.I. projects, including voice assistant Siri
Good grief, really? Apple are toast in the AI race then!

fl010

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2024
Of course it won’t! Apple didn’t even know what the word AI meant until Tim Cook read about ChatGPT in the newspaper.

Now it’s all hands on deck… cancel all other projects, get them on this new shiny toy… ‘lets come late to the party but be better’ BAU.
I think it is currently too late and it will cost further market shares (looking at the chinese market and the occurred 2024 drop).

They had time since 2022. Any insider would have known the tremendous potential. The Gtp release was an incisive event in human history, and was apparently completely missed. Also the achievements from DeepMind.
The current state of Gtp4 Turbo, but also Gemini Pro 1.5 is matchless.

Last edited:
Reactions: desslr

desslr

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
Yes, Apple is behind in some aspects of AI. Though Apple have been doing AI (not counting Siri) for several years it is not the current flavor of the day ChartGPT-style so they need to look outside for that functionality for now. Eventually they will either build their own or fully integrate with a third party LLM. In a couple of years, this current controversy will be forgotten.

Wrong. It isn’t about a customer-facing ChatGPTesque tool, it’s about the backbone of the technology that will power websites, apps and devices in the future.

Already Apple are scrambling to find a partner rather than being the partner.

• Haha

Rradcircless

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2022
I only like using chatbots when I’m running into dead ends with school assessments. And Bing AI is best because unlike Bard, it actually answers my questions. Bard is too used to saying, “Bard is still learning and can’t answer that.”

For context, I study social work. It’s things like intervening in crisis, mandatory reporting and yes, suicide sometimes.

Kirkster

Contributor
Jan 19, 2004
Whatever. As long as you can turn it off. If you can’t, Apple’s vaunted security will be truly compromised. I don’t want Google or China anywhere near my PII.

Tdude96

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2021
Apple probably saw it coming, but couldn’t do anything about it because of their position on privacy. They’re in the same position today, hence their last resort partnership with Google and Baidu.

Generative AI ain’t happening on a local device any time soon. Siri isn’t going to help rewrite messages or help finish a report without sending that info to the cloud. You can’t have a good conversation or make good recommendations without sharing personal content. Apple doesn’t do that with their focus on privacy, so they’ll fall behind until AI models get small enough and local processing is faster.

Locally-run, private, fully functional generative AI on iPhones, iPads, Macs. And that's possible with an independently developed app without the full resources Apple has available to them for this kind of thing. LLMs are a somewhat different monster, but still within the realm of possibility.You can run LLaMA models locally on Macs, the biggest gate being how much memory you have available.

Apple devices are more capable of generative AI than many people think.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Who is actually asking for a chatbot out of their phone?

I’m all for on-device machine learning use cases, but if your measure of “AI” on a phone is some sort of chat experience…who is actually doing or wants that?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Wrong. It isn’t about a customer-facing ChatGPTesque tool, it’s about the backbone of the technology that will power websites, apps and devices in the future.

Already Apple are scrambling to find a partner rather than being the partner.
I bet you were big on “web3” and blockchain as well right?

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
Two thoughts:

First, Two of those companies are no way in hell because of privacy issues, and the third is one that has real IP issues. Stunned that apple would get in bed with any of them.

Second, is that the AI may actually work since it's not coming out of the Siri team.

Either way, Apple really missed the boat here.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Apppe would be better off writing an API that allowed the user to choose the AI they want to use as the backend for Siri. This would keep the market open but let them sidestep having to draw up local deals and such.

Muzzakus

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Apple leadership. New shapes, new sizes, new prices. 0 innovation.

How can one of the world’s most valuable companies not be part of the conversation with these things. The embarrassment of Siri is meme worthy.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
I’ve said it before and I believe it needs to be said again: Please choose OpenAI outside of China, Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.