Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gatorvet96

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2016
Not according to the U.S. Supreme Court:

Does The U.S. Constitution Apply To Undocumented Immigrants?

To understand why the Constitution applies to non-citizens, it helps to understand a bit more about the legal document that’s been law of the land since 1789.

First, the biggest controversy over whether rights outlined in the Constitution apply to non-citizens comes from language within the document, which states that rights apply to ‘citizens.’

The problem therein is that, when the document was written, there was no set definition for ‘citizens.’ The Constitution was not written with the idea of safeguarding against people who live in the United States, but with the idea of protecting the rights of those within it.

To that end, the U.S. Supreme Court has interpreted Constitutional rights as applying to all people residing in the U.S., regardless of immigration status — including natural born citizens, legal immigrants, and non-citizens.

Though some 1st Amendment rights can and have been limited.

Court said aliens are entitled to lesser First Amendment rights

Supreme Court precedents hold that aliens are entitled to lesser First Amendment protections while seeking to enter the United States, because an alien has no right to enter the country, as per United States ex rel. Knauff v. Shaughnessy (1950).

Still, the point is that even non-U.S. citizens (a.k.a aliens) do have 1st Amendment rights...

Once an alien lawfully enters and resides in this country he becomes invested with the rights guaranteed by the Constitution to all people within our borders.”

In that case, the Court reversed the deportation of labor activist Harry Bridges, an Australian, because of statements he had made that prosecutors charged indicated “affiliation” with the Communist Party. Writing for the Court, Justice William O. Douglas concluded that “freedom of speech and of the press is accorded aliens residing in this country. . . ."
Doesn’t say foreign entities and foreign governments

Reactions: johnsawyercjs

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Doesn’t say foreign entities and foreign governments
:rolleyes: You know full well I was addressing your statement about "free speech under the Amendment to the US Constitution applies to American Citizens."

That's why I put that part in bold.

Reactions: brucemr

Scotticus

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2021
There better be a way to opt out of all of these partnerships. There's not a single GenAI company I can think of that I'd let have any access to my phone.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

gatorvet96

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2016
:rolleyes: You know full well I was addressing your statement about "free speech under the Amendment to the US Constitution applies to American Citizens."

That's why I put that part in bold.
However my point was related to tiktok being banned as free speech from china. Pointing out an inaccuracy related to illegal immigrants has nothing to do with what I was saying. Okay so kudos for finding a legal detail apropos to nothing

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Should get a definitive answer around WWDC. Expecting Apple to parter up.

aknabi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2011
Given Apple's focus on user experience and data protection and privacy all their AI partnerships seem counter to that principle... but I'm guessing they can't get their act together in time to respond to market pressure (which would cause a significant loss in shareholder value... probably far worse than this quarter's drop)... though that also goes against the "Apple way" of iterating internally until it's polished then release, damn what the market is doing.

Likely a move like the original deal with TomTom for maps to have something until they can sort their own solution out.... though, like maps, you'll see a lot of missteps and hiccups if they do go this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.