Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hitmanbbq59

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2020
Well, I know I might be jumping the gun *very* early here, but let's see if I can get this thread rolling. With the release of the disappointing-but-stable iOS 17 release, there are many things that could be addressed that left us wondering.

1. iOS's control center could use a macOS-style rework, and I do believe it is coming. With tvOS 17, they introduced a control center that is just like macOS', so I do believe a macOS style control center would be in the works for iOS 18 or so. More customization and ease of use is needed.

2. Interactive widgets have been kind of a letdown besides the reminders app. Maybe Apple will update the widgets to be even more interactive, but I can't create a calendar appointment from the widget, skip tracks with the music widget, or compose an email from the email widget.

3. Dynamic island notifications need to come to iOS. The animations have been nothing short of stellar with the dynamic island, and as of beta 5, they continue to add more animations to the dynamic island. Why not bring texts, emails, and more to the dynamic island to take advantage of it?

4. 120hz improvements across the OS. I have picked up a S22 and for some reason, that phone feels much smoother than iOS's, even when both have 120hz. This could also be a 17.x update.

5. A new app switcher view. iPhones are larger nowadays, I would love to have a grid-type view, like on iPadOS, so that we can see more apps at a time.

6. A number row on the keyboard.

7. Lockscreen button customization. The camera button is redundant.

8. A larger request would be macOS icons, but I am not holding my breath until at least iOS 20 LOL.

I know this is nit-picky, but those are just a few smaller tweaks they could make to really solidify the experience.

What would y'all like to see in the next version of iOS?

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
A12 and A13 Bionic devices have limited support on iOS 17

Many doubted and disagreed when I mentioned A12 Bionic will be the minimum for iOS 17 support... With iOS 18, I'm thinking either they keep the same devices or limit it to A14 Bionic and newer... I am siding more with A14 Bionic the minimum for iOS 18...

This time, A12 Bionic may be the minimum for iPadOS 18...

Reactions: Hitmanbbq59

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Well, I know I might be jumping the gun *very* early here, but let's see if I can get this thread rolling. With the release of the disappointing-but-stable iOS 17 release, there are many things that could be addressed that left us wondering.

I too like looking into the future, it’s never too early 🔮.

1. iOS's control center could use a macOS-style rework, and I do believe it is coming. With tvOS 17, they introduced a control center that is just like macOS', so I do believe a macOS style control center would be in the works for iOS 18 or so. More customization and ease of use is needed.

Yes, I had hoped for that as well, I was surprised to see tvOS get it but not the iPhone, hopefully next year.

2. Interactive widgets have been kind of a letdown besides the reminders app. Maybe Apple will update the widgets to be even more interactive, but I can't create a calendar appointment from the widget, skip tracks with the music widget, or compose an email from the email widget.

Yea hopefully with 17.1 or .2 they improve them, kind of silly that we can only start and stop tracks with the music widget, and not skip like you said. Third party jailbreak widgets have had this feature and much more for over ten years 🫠

3. Dynamic island notifications need to come to iOS. The animations have been nothing short of stellar with the dynamic island, and as of beta 5, they continue to add more animations to the dynamic island. Why not bring texts, emails, and more to the dynamic island to take advantage of it?

Yes yes yes!!!

4. 120hz improvements across the OS. I have picked up a S22 and for some reason, that phone feels much smoother than iOS's, even when both have 120hz. This could also be a 17.x update.

A very strange one for me too, at times it feels like the phone is at 60hz, the pixel 7 pro I used recently felt buttery smooth compared to my 14 pro max. And Apple used to be the one with the buttery OS.

Even my old midrange Samsung feels smoother and it came out in 2020.

5. A new app switcher view. iPhones are larger nowadays, I would love to have a grid-type view, like on iPadOS, so that we can see more apps at a time.

That might be a good addition.➕

If they can make it look good, on Android it looks cluttered to me, I’d rather they have a little shortcut that shows the large number view like on Android, not sure what it’s called.

Yes, but even more important, remove the slide over camera gesture which gets constantly invoked accidentally. It’s not only frustrating, it’s downright dangerous, as I’ve been using my flashlight at night many times, and accidentally triggered the gesture, opening the camera app which turns off the flashlight. I’ve almost tripped and died because of that.

On this note, make the lock screen a true lock screen again and also remove the long press to customize the lock screen, I’m always invoking that as well.

8. A larger request would be macOS icons, but I am not holding my breath until at least iOS 20 LOL.

I know this is nit-picky, but those are just a few smaller tweaks they could make to really solidify the experience.

Gotta agree to disagree on the MacOS icons, as they are for the most part just iPhone icons, except a few of them have a little shading. It took years for Apple to put those on macOS (and I hate them, iOS 7 flat and lifeless icons look so dumb on my MacBook Pro) 🫤. I’d prefer something new, and strangely, Apple has made some really nice and colorful icons for iOS, they just need to expand on them to eventually remove all traces of iOS 7. The shortcuts and find my icons both look great, if they use that same design language across the board, we’d be in business.🗃️📈

Once and for all they really need to let us place our icons anywhere on the grid, without them being forced up the top left. On my Android phone this is one of the nicest features, as I keep my homepage icons on the bottoms of the screen, which opens up the top part for widgets and to see more of the wallpapers. Really looks cleaner and less cluttered. 📲📱

Split screen multi-tasking would be welcome as well, hopefully Apple increases the ram someday so their pro smartphone can handle basic stuff like that.

I’d also like to see a pro mode and an Astro mode in the camera app. Astro mode on the Pixels is amazing for a phone!🔭🪐

And please, Tim, let us remove the Homebar, once and for all!

Last edited:

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013

Number row on the keyboard would be a game changer. Miss that from GBoard. And Android in general tbh.

I was hoping that 17 would come with a bit of a design refresh but it seems it’s minor updates and polish which sounds boring lol

It needs a minor update to polish it up a bit though so I do understand. Some nice little refinements so far.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022

I would argue that the control centre is redundant as it’s the opposite end of the screen to your thumb.

I’d put good money on a large percentage of broken iPhone screens being down to the finger gymnastics required to reach the top half of the display. This isn’t iOS7 anymore and there shouldn’t be any meaningful interactions in the top third of the display.

I would completely redesign the app switcher as you say but have the control centre as a LH-swipe on that screen and accessible this way on the lock screen. I would then add notifications to the bottom of this screen as a stack that expands on a click.

DiscoMcDisco

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
London
Don’t know if it’s just me, but I find the app switcher a bit more redundant now I can swipe through things, I’m usually only jumping between a few recent apps… and we all know closing apps is pointless… so I’m on the fence.. as for everything else I’m game :)

I genuinely wouldn’t hate a swipe up from the top row of the keyboard to slide up the number row, but I’m so used to tapping/holding shift now again I’m not sure I care… could be nice though :)

17fox

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2022
Vienna, Austria

All ideas are so cool and I'd be happy to see them all in the next major release. One more small thing to add regarding the lock screen is that they should create some kind of toggle to disable editing the lock screen from the lock screen itself. I press it accidentally quite often and it's really annoying.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

You know what Hitman BBQ? I like your list. And I find it pretty realistic.

The multitasking layout, however, although more useful, could be confused with the Safari tab grid view. But other than that, I would really like to see that kind of multitasking view on the iPhone.

The control center, if I have to be honest with you, I like it the way it is now. However, I agree that it should be more customizable.

I think that, for next year’s operating systems, Apple will focus heavier on iPadOS. I sense big changes are coming with the new, redesigned iPad Pros.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

17fox

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2022
Vienna, Austria
I say YES.

In fact, some developers already do this. Few, but this is possible to do if the developer wants. It still doesn't work very well, I think the icon doesn't change until you open the app.

Definitely, that would be a very welcome change, along with the macOS style icons.
+1 here, I don’t want to be too skeptical, but they are likely to add something no one expected or really wanted (like contact posters), rather than something like this cool feature concept

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
+1 here, I don’t want to be too skeptical, but they are likely to add some thing no one expected or really wanted (like contact posters), rather than something like this cool feature concept
If you think about it, changing all the icons dinamically with that sort of animation would represent a heavy graphic effort for the SoC. But I assume the A17 will have enough GPU horsepower to do it with like a breeze.

I still remember the neon styled dark icons we saw in a past WWDC, and how we were all imaging a new dark theme including apps… none of that happened, although there are quite a few nice icon packs with such neon theme.

If only it was easier to change app icons without using shortcuts…

17fox

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2022
Vienna, Austria
If you think about it, changing all the icons dinamically with that sort of animation would represent a heavy graphic effort for the SoC. But I assume the A17 will have enough GPU horsepower to do it with like a breeze.

I still remember the neon styled dark icons we saw in a past WWDC, and how we were all imaging a new dark theme including apps… none of that happened, although there are quite a few nice icon packs with such neon theme.

If only it was easier to change app icons without using shortcuts…
Agree with you regarding the efforts for the SoC, but I believe even chips from a few years ago like A14-15 could cope with it easily.

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
A better way to come back to text threads, besides pin. I do like that with an Android, if you hit one character in a thread but don't send it - it gets obviously marked as a draft. That would be a great steal for iOS! =)

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
For iOS, this is my wishlist:

• Live TV services directly in the TV app (so that live channels/streams from providers like Sling and my Comcast app can appear in and be directly played from the TV app)
  • All devices shown in Now Playing (ie so that you can see what your iPhone is playing from your iPad, etc)
  • Wallet app with account balance and all transaction history for all cards (probably would need to be activated by the card issuers, but i think this is already somewhat available as my friend’s card in Wallet shows all transactions with that account, not just via Apple Pay on the iPhone)
  • Native food logging in Health
  • Synced Clock apps for alarms and timers (I’ve set so many timers on one device and then failed to notice it going off when I switched to using another device in the meantime)
  • All iCloud devices shown in Battery widget
  • “Contacts only” section in messages (even in the “known” section, there is so much clutter from businesses and the like that text me - I’d love a view of messages from people that are only in my Contacts app)

For iPadOS, I’d like all of the above plus:

• Native Phone app for WiFi calling with access to voicemails (I use my iPad for like 90% of calls when I work from home and not having access to voicemails, a dialer, etc is killing me)
  • Fitness app parity with iPhone (aka workout and movement/activity history) and Fitness widget
  • Calculator app 🥴
  • Ability to use external monitor webcam for Zoom and FaceTime (or is that coming in iPadOS 17?)

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I'd like to see you be able to set defaults on stuff so you don't get asked every time - such as when I clear history and cookies from the setting app it always asks me if I want to close tabs - why can't I set that so I don't get asked and have to answer.
Same when I do manual iCloud backup it always tells me that I'm not backing up everything do I want to continue - I want to set yes as default so I don't have to answer all the time.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Someone in a group message today took a poll in iMessage, and I thought that would be a good idea to be able to literally create polls in iMessage conversations. I'm sure there's an iMessage app for that, but deep integration would be nice.

tomtattoo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
Berlin
After the watchOs10-Swipe-desaster I´m really in horror they will do the same with swiping through homescreens.

+1 for dark icons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.