Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
Been a whole since I've used SBSAdblock, it blocked well, but used quite a bit of memory (40MB on my iPhone 4).. But works wel, just not sure if it's even updated anymore. :/
I've used Adblocker, but not as great with adblocking. Seems like it would require custom lists for iAds, if so any suggestions for custom lists?
Thanks in advance everyone, and hopefully it helps others with similar questions.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
I've used AdBlocker now for about a week....works great and noticeably speeds up browsing in Safari. The only issue that I've had thus far is the ESPN mobile page does not load/work properly with AdBlocker.

Is a "custom list" required to fix this issue?

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
I've used AdBlocker now for about a week....works great and noticeably speeds up browsing in Safari. The only issue that I've had thus far is the ESPN mobile page does not load/work properly with AdBlocker.

Is a "custom list" required to fix this issue?

I'm guessing so, as SBSAdblock is a giant customized host file; I think. So additional custom lists would be a must for AdBlocker.

Last edited:

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Used to use AdBlock, but Cocoamug Software never updated since iOS 3.x. Are these two the only viable options? Does AdBlocker use minimal memory?

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
Used to use AdBlock, but Cocoamug Software never updated since iOS 3.x. Are these two the only viable options? Does AdBlocker use minimal memory?

Seems to be the only options at the moment :(.
Both with strengths and faults to. While SBSAdblock, is a bit of a memory hog (Around 50MB on my iP4), its way effective most of the time in every app. AdBlocker, on the other hand is much lighter on the memory, but is noticeably not as efficient at ad blocking and requires you specify which apps it works in (And most of the time doesn't do the job); though that could be due to it requiring additional custom filters that the creator doesn't supply links to :(.
At the moment I'm still mixed as to which to pick as I don't think SBSAdblock is being updated anymore. :/

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
At the moment I'm still mixed as to which to pick as I don't think SBSAdblock is being updated anymore. :/

Not happy to hear the lack of options. Do keep us posted.

I have noticed that the Reader feature in Safari comes in handy as it blocks all ads.

NanoNyrd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
Can any of these block ads in Cydia? It is by far the most ad-heavy thing on my phone.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
Not happy to hear the lack of options. Do keep us posted.

I have noticed that the Reader feature in Safari comes in handy as it blocks all ads.

Same, you would think someone would be all over this. :/ I'd gladly pay to see ad's gone.

Can any of these block ads in Cydia? It is by far the most ad-heavy thing on my phone.

SBSAdblock, kills some of the ad's in Cydia. While AdBlocker, kills zero in Cydia (on purpose).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.