Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
I got that far, just not sure how to create items on the list. Looks like for each entry you would have to set it up to remind you every day. This could be tedious with a long grocery list.

im still trying to wrap my head around it myself.
did you you just add items under "reminders"? Try making an entirely different category under "list" and then try adding items to that.

gobes

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
In Messages the keyboard pulls down when going to check what a message said.
SOOOOO Nice!
Love this too, but it still fails when you type a long message. It's fine until the message space above has completely disappeared. Then you can't move the keyboard/what you've typed down to view the past messages.

Bit annoying as they've almost perfected something that annoys me most days!!

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Maybe this isn't the correct place to put this, but I had a jailbreak app before that was a similar notification system on the lock screen, what I liked better about it was that it made a tone when I got a new email, but didn't light up the screen every single time. Is there a way to make it so it doesn't light up the screen every time, but still get a vibrate or tone alert?

jon54321

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
im still trying to wrap my head around it myself.
did you you just add items under "reminders"? Try making an entirely different category under "list" and then try adding items to that.

I added a category as an item under "reminders" which makes it also show up under "list". This was pretty simple. However I can't add items to this category, i.e. my grocery items. All I can do is add items that show up at the same level as the category I added. What I need, or maybe just can't find, is how to make a sub-list to my new "Grocery List" category.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
I added a category as an item under "reminders" which makes it also show up under "list". This was pretty simple. However I can't add items to this category, i.e. my grocery items. All I can do is add items that show up at the same level as the category I added. What I need, or maybe just can't find, is how to make a sub-list to my new "Grocery List" category.

reminders is just a category by itself and can be deleted... you need to make another one. on iPhone click the upper left line picture thingy. once there click edit and then click creat new list. call that groceries.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
The dictation feature is my favorite new feature. It works really, really well. You can say various punctuation symbols to insert those (e.g., comma, period, colon), but I had a tough time figuring out how to insert a line break. I did some searching and I think I came across a manual for Dragon Dictation which uses Nuance and I believe that Nuance is what's used by the iOS dictation. Sure enough, the commands they use worked for iOS. So to insert a line break, you say "New Line" and to insert two line breaks, you say "New Paragraph".

perfect - i was trying to figure out how to do this. its so weird to say "comma..." but i'm getting used to it.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
It's annoying adding new contacts.

Say I want to add mobile and work.

First box = mobile, that's okay, but you can't choose next box, it is automatically called "iPhone", if you type something in that a new box appears below called "home", then finally when you type a number in that "work" appears.

Seems awful design to me

Also Reminders is rubbish, needs a rework

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
????? hit edit in the contact field. tap on iPhone and switch to whatever you want? even a custom field there...

llps

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
iPhone or iPad

It's the sunshine w/ 73 degrees on it :) Also you can touch the top of your screen (by the ear speaker) and pull down, it's at the top. Click it to go to the weather app or slide to the right or left to see the forecast.

Do these tips about the weather app apply to the iPad 2? If so, I must be blind as a brickbat because I am not seeing the same results. I really do appreciate everyone's willingness to help though. I am so new at this Apple stuff that I am almost embarrasssed to post questions. Hmmmm!

Gillespie81

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2011
Minnesota
these are all really nice changes with ios5. my favorites are the tones and vib functions, and emoji built in now. is there a link anywhere on apple that has all the 200+ new features and how to use them. i like messing around but a list would be nice

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Agreed, I've tried and don't see how a grocery list can be set up. Can you share details on the steps to get this going?

I us Notes for grocery lists (and others). I have one each for the various stores I frequent (Lowe's, Target, "groceries" etc._ And now with Siri, I can say "add toothpaste to my Target note" and it does!

And then your Notes sync to all other devices on the same account. So you can add then to the iPad and read them on the phone, etc.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Do these tips about the weather app apply to the iPad 2? If so, I must be blind as a brickbat because I am not seeing the same results. I really do appreciate everyone's willingness to help though. I am so new at this Apple stuff that I am almost embarrasssed to post questions. Hmmmm!

Apple does not ship a weather app on the iPad (nor stock ticker), you have to pick one from the app store. I have found WeatherBug works better than the TWC one, YMMV.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Here is a little thing – but I find it very non-trivial. Embedded text fields no longer require two fingers to scroll, only one now. For example, in the last code box in this post the text runs off to the right, which would have taken two fingers to scroll before, but now takes only 1.

This is not a Safari feature, it is part of the WebKit objects that all iOS browsers use to render pages. This helps a lot with the browsers that respond to two finger gestures. It could be problematic or annoying, though, if one were to zoom the box to fill the screen and the not be able to scroll the whole page.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
The calendar event notifications will coNtinue to count down.

This means that a 15 min before alert will raise a notification for the event saying "in 15min". But if you look at the notification 4 minutes later it will say "in 11 min"

KnackeRED

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Turn off "View in Lock Screen" for the Mail Notification. You still get the tone but no message.

Maybe this isn't the correct place to put this, but I had a jailbreak app before that was a similar notification system on the lock screen, what I liked better about it was that it made a tone when I got a new email, but didn't light up the screen every single time. Is there a way to make it so it doesn't light up the screen every time, but still get a vibrate or tone alert?

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Turn off "View in Lock Screen" for the Mail Notification. You still get the tone but no message.

But I want to see the message on the screen if I push the home button. That goes for any notification I'd like the tone, then if I am interested or get around to it I can push the home button and see what it is. I can then determine hey it's just junk mail or something I want to reply to. Even text messages, would be nice if I have the option to just get a tone to let me know it's there and push the home button to illuminate the screen.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
But I want to see the message on the screen if I push the home button. That goes for any notification I'd like the tone, then if I am interested or get around to it I can push the home button and see what it is. I can then determine hey it's just junk mail or something I want to reply to. Even text messages, would be nice if I have the option to just get a tone to let me know it's there and push the home button to illuminate the screen.

just tried and it looks like its one or the other. if you turn off "view in lockscreen" on that particular app, you will just get a sound, but you wont be able to see your notification in lock screen. best option might be to just turn off preview.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
just tried and it looks like its one or the other. if you turn off "view in lockscreen" on that particular app, you will just get a sound, but you wont be able to see your notification in lock screen. best option might be to just turn off preview.

Thanks, not exactly what I was looking for. I used to use lockinfo (jailbreak app) and it did exactly what I wanted. I upgraded to iOS 5 thinking it did what I wanted. Fortunately there are enough features that this upgrade was still worth it to me.

The only other thing I would like to sbsettings to be in the app store.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I found that if you attempt to use the red-eye removal tool, and it doesn't detect red eye... you are stuck. There is no back, or cancel button to get you back to the camera roll.

...but that's not really a feature...

Actually you can go back to the camera roll, just press cancel top left corner a couple of times.

EBreakingWave

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2010
uk
I'm almost certain it's been mentioned here, but one of my favourite features is the text shortcuts. I set one as "eml" for my email address to be added. So much easier for me because there's numbers in my email and had to keep switching back and forth :p :D

MXChristian11

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2008
San Diego, CA
not sure if this was mentioned but you could play YouTube (say music from YouTube) and do other stuff...

just find the song you wanna play on YouTube, go to the home screen, double click on the home button, swipe to the right and press play.

wow. finally!! thanks, been on iOS 5 since beta, and I just found this out.
embarrassed. but great find!

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
perfect - i was trying to figure out how to do this. its so weird to say "comma..." but i'm getting used to it.

Welcome to the world of computer dictation. Punctuation is not automatic.
I haved used dragon for yrs and this was intuitive for me. I forgot how this would be for others

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.