Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gene S

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
I thought iOS 5 was supposed to automatically updated installed apps? I know I remember reading something about it a few month ago.

I've got iCloud, and wireless itunes sync all set up and working. But I still have a red "2" in the corner of the AppStore icon indicating updates are available. Is there some switch somewhere I need to turn on?

(on a side note, every iOS release is making it more difficult to configure and maintain these devices. Things aren't intuitive anymore, I'm spending too much time trying to figure out how to make it do something.)

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
I was never under the impression that we would not have to download app updates from the App Store.

Did a little checking. A app purchased on one device can be automatically downloaded to all devices if you go to the Setting app and set the option, but once downloaded updates are downloaded manually.

Last edited:

MichXP

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
Although I think that would be a very convenient feature for a lot of people, Gene, I personally wouldn't want to use it due to the fact I like to read the release notes for each app before I update; just to see which bug fixes are made or what new features are available for that app.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
I don't believe it is meant to do this. However, the 'iTunes in the cloud' information might have led you to believe it could. If you enable that, new purchases of apps, music and books (possibly others, but those for sure) get pushed to the device(s) with that feature enabled, so if you buy an app or song/album on your phone it gets pushed to your iPad and Mac, or any combination thereof.

Personally, I think auto-updating apps wouldn't be entirely seamless, which is what Apple are going for. Imagine if an app update started automatically downloading to your phone, but then you got onto the tube/subway and wanted to use it — you'd have a broken app. The battery drain too would be significant, especially when you consider a lot of households share apple IDs. If your spouse and/or kids were downloading and updating lots of stuff on an iPad your phone would be pretty much continuously pulling down data. There are ways around these issues, but they just add further layers of complexity to deal with a fairly niche feature.

I do think that iTunes should push people to update their apps though. The number of people I know who have a red '38' badge on their App Store logo is considerable, and it must be a bit worrying for developers — most people are roughly up to date with iOS because iTunes prompts you regularly for that kind of thing, but app updates are quite neglected in comparison.

biver

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2010
It's now possible for jailbreakers to auto update apps

Check out "Auto App Updater" on the ModMyI.com repo.

It does exactly that! I just installed it and it's perfect. For those of you that are worried that it's a bad idea to update apps without making sure they don't have "major bugs" should turn off auto updates for your mission critical apps in the settings. Problem solved.

http://modmyi.com/content/10439-auto...C+Homepage+All)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.