Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kokhean

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
What do you think? I've seen many comments saying that it was "shamelessly ripped off from Android" but I can see that they function quite differently.

MobileNotifier
newalerts.png
alertdashboard.png
lockscreen.png

LockInfo's InfoShade
img_0083.png
0708111422_lockinfo2.jpg

Android's Notification Bar
windowshade1small.png

Android's Notification Drawer
Android-Notification.jpg

iOS's Notification Center Grabber
5.jpg

iOS's Notification Banner
iPhone-Notification-Banner-Swipe-To-Close.jpg

iOS's Notification Center
Notification-Center2.jpg

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
They might've "gotten the idea" from Android but there are only so many ways you can do it.

Exactly. The same can be said about slide to unlock and other patents Apple has defended so ferociously.

They could have slid the notification bar in from the bottom or sides of the screen. They could have made it so that there's a button that brings it down, or a gesture.

There's a few other ways to do it bar this blatant copying :p

I'm not complaining as I like the implementation; just find the hypocrisy overwhelming :p

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
There have been notification bars on the top part of mobile device displays long before either Android or iOS. Claiming Android invented top down notifications means you haven't seen much previous to Android or iOS.
I prefer iOS notifications as they are less obtrusive. I can't stand all the clutter on top of Android displays.

kokhean

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
there have been notification bars on the top part of mobile device displays long before either android or ios. Claiming android invented top down notifications means you haven't seen much previous to android or ios.
I prefer ios notifications as they are less obtrusive. I can't stand all the clutter on top of android displays.
:p

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
sorry for being random, but kokhean.... I was wondering if you study at Purdue University by any chance?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
They might've "gotten the idea" from Android but there are only so many ways you can do it.

Ah, so when Apple copies something, they still get away with being the most innovative tech company because there's only so many ways you can do it! But if everyone else copies Apple, shame on them for not being creative.

Your world is amazing. Ha.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
There have been notification bars on the top part of mobile device displays long before either Android or iOS. Claiming Android invented top down notifications means you haven't seen much previous to Android or iOS.
I prefer iOS notifications as they are less obtrusive. I can't stand all the clutter on top of Android displays.

There's been slide to unlock before android and the iPhone too (neo node n1m). Regardless apple has the patent like Android has the notification patent (see my post above for link).

Point being they all copy each other just apple ferociously defends its copied the later patented ideas. I'm not bashing apple either, I'd abuse the terrible patent system too if I could.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Ah, so when Apple copies something, they still get away with being the most innovative tech company because there's only so many ways you can do it! But if everyone else copies Apple, shame on them for not being creative.

Your world is amazing. Ha.

I never meant it that way. The same goes for both Android and iOS. When the both copy something from each other, there are only so many ways you can do it. Apple obviously doesn't see it that way because they have patents on certain things. I wouldn't see it that way if I had patents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.