Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Hey guys, I was looking for a free app for my iPhone that would give me a U.S based phone number that I could make free calls and sent texts via Wifi/3G. Talkatone filled that bill perfectly.....

However when I went to install it via the appstore, I got an error that it is only for iOS6+ and I don't want to upgrade just for this 1 app :( Does anyone know of any similar alternatives that actually install under iOS 5? So far I've found the MagicJack app and "Whistle Phone" but I don't think either of those can handle SMS....

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Well, as an update...

There is NO alternative I have found.....No iOS 5 compatible app gets you a free dedicated U.S number that you can use for local texting/calls which is too bad. Why are apps like Talkatone restricting themselves to only iOS6+ users?!

Anyway, the closet alternative I have found is the MagicJack app. You don't get a dedicated number so can't recieve calls or texts, but you can make unlimited calls to any U.S based number over Wifi/3G...

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
iOS 5 has been left behind by most active developers. We've got an original iPad stuck in iOS 5 and I'm surprised when it works with anything.

If you have a 3GS I'd say go ahead and upgrade to iOS 6. If it's an iPhone 4 or 4S I'll say you should have upgraded to iOS 6 when you had the chance, unfortunately.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
iOS 5 has been left behind by most active developers. We've got an original iPad stuck in iOS 5 and I'm surprised when it works with anything.

If you have a 3GS I'd say go ahead and upgrade to iOS 6. If it's an iPhone 4 or 4S I'll say you should have upgraded to iOS 6 when you had the chance, unfortunately.

The 4S isn't that bad actually, but according to the OP signature he has an iPhone 4. If you want to use the app you'll have to upgrade.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Freedompop also requires iOS 7.....*sigh*.

No, I hate the new design of iOS 7 so I don't want it. I wish I did upgrade to iOS 6 at least when I had the chance but now its too late :confused:

Don't know if I'll ever own a new iphone in the future because they are locked to iOS versions (ex: iPhone 5s -> iOS 7). If this one ever dies on me, I'll have to find a used iPhone 4 with iOS 5 on it again :)

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Freedompop also requires iOS 7.....*sigh*.

No, I hate the new design of iOS 7 so I don't want it. I wish I did upgrade to iOS 6 at least when I had the chance but now its too late :confused:

Don't know if I'll ever own a new iphone in the future because they are locked to iOS versions (ex: iPhone 5s -> iOS 7). If this one ever dies on me, I'll have to find a used iPhone 4 with iOS 5 on it again :)

Huh that's weird. I have freedompop on my iPad1 installed but I never tried it until now - I just assumed it worked - but it immediately crashes. Well Vonage works. I think it does anyway.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I just checked - Vonage works. Google being such evil bastards is gonna come back and bite them in the ass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.