Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janfon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
My iPhone 4S is on iOS 5.0.1 right now and has long time ago downloaded iOS 6 to the phone OTA. It seems I can install this iOS 6 but is that possible? I mean Apple doesn't sign it anymore but is the installation file I have on the iPhone already signed back when it downloaded and thus will install?

Thanks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I doubt it, but give it a shot.

Because Apple long stopped signing it, you'll not be able to go through the installation process - at least that's how I understand it.

janfon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
I doubt it, but give it a shot.

Because Apple long stopped signing it, you'll not be able to go through the installation process - at least that's how I understand it.

Thanks. I'm reluctant to give it a shot because I wouldn't want it installing iOS 8. I'm confused by how this signing business works? If the iOS 6 is already downloaded to the iPhone and I can choose to install it, wouldn't the copy I have be signed and ready to work?

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Thanks. I'm reluctant to give it a shot because I wouldn't want it installing iOS 8. I'm confused by how this signing business works? If the iOS 6 is already downloaded to the iPhone and I can choose to install it, wouldn't the copy I have be signed and ready to work?

Nope, because the installation will have to verify itself with Apple. And it is at that point you will either succeed or hit a brick wall. If the install says iOS6, it will be iOS6... Not 8. It should be worth a shot... At the worst it will stop you and you remain where you are. At best you manage to move onwards and upwards...

janfon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
Nope, because the installation will have to verify itself with Apple. And it is at that point you will either succeed or hit a brick wall. If the install says iOS6, it will be iOS6... Not 8. It should be worth a shot... At the worst it will stop you and you remain where you are. At best you manage to move onwards and upwards...

Ok thanks. I'll see if I feel brave enough to do it. Just a bit worried about getting a bricked phone :rolleyes:

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
The iOS 6 it installs is not a usable iOS, it is just used as a way to update to iOS 8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.