Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I upgraded to iOS6.1 recently when the new jailbreak came out (was on 5.1.1 before) and noticed some things were broken.

I sometimes used to stream youtube videos/songs for the music and would play the video, hit the home button to go to the homescreen, double tap the home button and go to the music controls and press play. This would allow me to continue to listen to music whether the phone is locked or I'm doing something else on it [and don't have to have the video playing]. It no longer works that way it seem. Anyone know of a workaround?

Less importantly, if I play a song in the Music app and have it set on shuffle, I'll go through a bunch of song. Then when I stop listening and do other things on the phone and then go back to music, it'll start from the first song I started from and not from the one I paused. I just reshuffle at this point but it's irritating as songs that I've recently listened to may come up and I don't want to hear them again.

Anyone else experience this? I'm on a 4S running 6.1 (although will update to 6.1.1 in a few days)

Last edited:

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
I'm doing it now. Pachanga Boys, Time. Play video on YouTube in safari, go to another tab, playback stops. LOCK the iPad. Double click home, hit the play button, movie continues, then slide to unlock. You'll be in Safari, on another tab, listening to the video's audio.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I'm doing it now. Pachanga Boys, Time. Play video on YouTube in safari, go to another tab, playback stops. LOCK the iPad. Double click home, hit the play button, movie continues, then slide to unlock. You'll be in Safari, on another tab, listening to the video's audio.

How do you go to another tab while the video is playing? Do you click "done" and then when the video closes you open another tab?

Haven't been able to reproduce what you said :confused:

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
How do you go to another tab while the video is playing? Do you click "done" and then when the video closes you open another tab?

Haven't been able to reproduce what you said :confused:

I hit the + button in the top right corner. I'm not in full screen mode.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 133

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
<Seppuku> Ah, indeed, so sorry. </Seppuku>

It does appear to be iPad only.
Bummer.
Seems to be related to how each device handles QuickTime differently.

l.w41sh

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Florida
The YouTube app that is available for iOS 6, due to Google and Apple's agreement on use, is not native and does not support playback while running in the background.

So to use the YouTube app available in the App Store for music playback you must keep the app running and the device cannot be in the sleep position.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A

sviato

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Just an update for whomever may have a similar issue. Jasmine apparently doesn't do background playing after 6.1 but McTube still does so I'll be using that. Thanks for the suggestions!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.