Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattTheTurk

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Istanbul, Turkey
Hi guys, do I have to restore from jailbroken 5.1.1 to regular 5.1.1 using restore button on iTunes and then upgrade to IOS6 or do it directly? Please let me know asap! Thanks

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
I'm about to do the same thing. Recommendation was to Restore as new device and it will automatically put iOS6 on your phone.

From there, you can restore from backup or just start as a new fresh, device.

My question is.. should I remove the cydia apps before restoring as new? Will this help not get errors?

MattTheTurk

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Istanbul, Turkey
I'm about to do the same thing. Recommendation was to Restore as new device and it will automatically put iOS6 on your phone.

From there, you can restore from backup or just start as a new fresh, device.

My question is.. should I remove the cydia apps before restoring as new? Will this help not get errors?

That's exactly what I'm wondering. And the thing is I don't care about contats as much, could probably spend some time on it to rebuild but ideally I dont want it to get deleted either. So do you suggest having to restore the phone in which it will update to ios6 and completely wiped out including photos as well and rebuild?

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
That's exactly what I'm wondering. And the thing is I don't care about contats as much, could probably spend some time on it to rebuild but ideally I dont want it to get deleted either. So do you suggest having to restore the phone in which it will update to ios6 and completely wiped out including photos as well and rebuild?

From what I was told, just do a full back up now. This will save your settings, apps, and things. Then do a full restore from new (will put on iOS6) and then restore from backup.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Just ensure the back up you use is one prior to when you first jailbroke or you could end up putting on redundant cydia files back onto your idevice

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I was on 5.1 and jailbroken, updated to iOS6 a little bit ago..
I plugged into iTunes, did restore and install update. Took probably like 20-30 minutes for the whole process. Phone reset, turned on and was at the activation screen. Set it up as a new phone, and used the Verizon Contact Transfer app to transfer my contacts back to my phone. Went through and manually added the apps that I use the most... will add more as I see fit. Also went through and played with all the settings and set them to how they were on 5.1.

I always set up my phones as new when I am downloading new software. It feels like a nice deep cleaning for your phone and seems to run better when you set up as new.

To answer your question: I didnt delete any Cydia apps/tweaks, anything before upgrading. And it didn't give me any problems but like I said I set up as new, so I wouldnt run into that issue. The only problem I have is my jailbreak is gone :( But im sure one will be out very soon.

I'm looking forward to playing around with iOS6

MattTheTurk

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Istanbul, Turkey
From what I was told, just do a full back up now. This will save your settings, apps, and things. Then do a full restore from new (will put on iOS6) and then restore from backup.

I understand but don't you thin there are some cydia tweaks or at least some files or settings that validates the restore was in fact jailbroken and you'd be trying to restore that on a stock ios6 firmware.This just confuses the hell out of me. My gut says just dont do it but at the same time sooner or later we'll do ıt

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Just ensure the back up you use is one prior to when you first jailbroke or you could end up putting on redundant cydia files back onto your idevice

Well, then that won't work for me lol. All I have is back ups from when it was jailbroken. Since I have been on JB since forever, I never had a back up on non-JB.

MattTheTurk

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Istanbul, Turkey
Well, then that won't work for me lol. All I have is back ups from when it was jailbroken. Since I have been on JB since forever, I never had a back up on non-JB.

I know. it is solely an opinion and assumption of mine. I'm just not too sure at this point. I just wanted to experience the ios6 and just get rid of jailbreak as I barely use its functions other than sbsettings. There are also free apps all the time so I wanted to update but the whole risk of undergoing this process worries me.

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Well, I just removed majority of the Jailbreak apps I had on there. Going to do a restore from new now.. I'll let you know how it goes.

MattTheTurk

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Istanbul, Turkey
Well, I just removed majority of the Jailbreak apps I had on there. Going to do a restore from new now.. I'll let you know how it goes.

Alright. Good luck. Please let me know how it goes by and what you exactly did in order for the whole thing to go smooth. Thanks!

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
By doing a new restore.. all seems good to go.

My question now is based off the previous poster. If I did a backup with jailbreak previously.. should I not use this backup??

MattTheTurk

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Istanbul, Turkey
By doing a new restore.. all seems good to go.

My question now is based off the previous poster. If I did a backup with jailbreak previously.. should I not use this backup??

Okay, so you went ahead and said restore and it went ahead and wiped everything alongside installing ios6? right? How is the battery life on 4S and the performance? Do you think it's worth to upgrade or hold out?

I suppose it shouldn't be a big problem. worst case scenario could be putting photos and contacts manually.

eazyb23

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
Okay, so you went ahead and said restore and it went ahead and wiped everything alongside installing ios6? right? How is the battery life on 4S and the performance? Do you think it's worth to upgrade or hold out?

I suppose it shouldn't be a big problem. worst case scenario could be putting photos and contacts manually.

So the question i have is when you restore your phone, does your settings get restored also? Like is it opening a new iphone fresh from the plastic or is it how your iphone was before you upgraded?

MattTheTurk

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Istanbul, Turkey
So the question i have is when you restore your phone, does your settings get restored also? Like is it opening a new iphone fresh from the plastic or is it how your iphone was before you upgraded?

yes I'd quite in fact like an answer for that too before I go ahead and do this whole thing

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Settings were restored. Is it worth it? I'm not sure yet lol.

A few things I loved about jailbreak were Fake Clock Up, Pandora Skips, and SBSettings.

Maps seems fine in my area , but I will have to test out all the other little features before making a recommendation.

MattTheTurk

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Istanbul, Turkey
Settings were restored. Is it worth it? I'm not sure yet lol.

A few things I loved about jailbreak were Fake Clock Up, Pandora Skips, and SBSettings.

Maps seems fine in my area , but I will have to test out all the other little features before making a recommendation.

Right, Well I will hold out upgrading until I get your two cents.

People have been saying that the battery life on 4s has reduced drastically. Please check up on that.

One more thing to sum up for those people that look for a solution on the threads.

You went ahead and backed up your iPhone and said restore + upgrade to ios6 and set up as a new device and then pugged it in again to itunes and said restore which it gave you an option to which backup and you selected it and it restored your APPS, settings, contacts and all that right?

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Right, Well I will hold out upgrading until I get your two cents.

People have been saying that the battery life on 4s has reduced drastically. Please check up on that.

One more thing to sum up for those people that look for a solution on the threads.

You went ahead and backed up your iPhone and said restore + upgrade to ios6 and set up as a new device and then pugged it in again to itunes and said restore which it gave you an option to which backup and you selected it and it restored your APPS, settings, contacts and all that right?

Correct! I'll try to post how battery life fares in the next couple days.

swoosh0217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
NW
Is it really worth losing my tweaks for a video recording taking photos at the same time or a better SIRI or a better MAP with turn by turn?

I already have Navigon as my default GPS Navigation that I paid in the appstore combining it with a Cydia tweak called "Navigate from Maps", I dont think IO6 map will beat that...

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
Is it really worth losing my tweaks for a video recording taking photos at the same time or a better SIRI or a better MAP with turn by turn?

I already have Navigon as my default GPS Navigation that I paid in the appstore combining it with a Cydia tweak called "Navigate from Maps", I dont think IO6 map will beat that...

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm too used to JB and don't really see any advantage right now to update to iOS6.

But once the JB is available for iOS6, you betcha I will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.