Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uscfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
While the performance increase on iOS 7.1 appears genuine - I'm experiencing serious battery drain on my iPhone 4S (64GB model).

I have parallax disabled as well as background app refresh disabled.

I updated from iOS 7.06 to 7.1 via USB cable attached to my Mac Pro and the latest version of iTunes running on Mavericks latest version as well. I had closed all apps and done a reset before connecting to iTunes where I did a backup and sync prior to updating.

The drain I'm experiencing is during usage, not standby as much. When I use my standard apps (mail, safari, txt, etc.) I'm seeing the battery drain about 1% per minute. I'm not using GPS or bluetooth.

I followed one suggested on Apple Forums to drain battery to about 40%, then do another hard reset. Doesn't seem to help.

Anyone know of similar issues or what to try next?

Last edited:

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
I'm noticing it on my iPhone 5. I had great battery life on 7.1 Beta 5 but I'm noticing a huge difference on the release build. Something is up with it... I drained 10% in a matter of minutes without even using my phone.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I have the same exact drain problem. My 5s drains slightly faster in standby now, and much faster in use.

I just did a restore and loaded my apps back onto it last night, but it didn't help. Next I'm gonna try to do another restore and set up as new. If that doesn't work then god help us all.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
I'm noticing drain on my 5s as well. 7.0.6 was definitely better, and this is after a fresh restore. Oh well. :/

uscfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
Apple Investigating

I got a call from an Apple senior engineer today asking me to install a custom profile that would log my background app activity and send the log file to the engineers for analysis.

This came as a result of my posting a similar thread on the Apple Support Forums.

No comments on what the engineer thought was causing the problem but he did ask me how I was using the phone and how long this has been going on (since 7.1 was installed...)

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I took the opportunity to set up as new on my 5c. Slight improvement overall.

It was a pig to get my camera roll back out of one drive in one go but now ok.

Gave me the opportunity to have a good app/picture clear out! I'm such a hoarder!!

rburly

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2009
Florida
Just to add to the count, I noticed the battery drain after a day or so of 7.1 update. It's similar to what seems to be the average, about 1% a minute while I'm using it. This isn't the case when not using the phone.

Mess

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
My battery is superb on my 4s

99A00FAA-4171-478B-AD70-8B113B0CEDFB.png

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
No problems here. I've gotten 7 hours of usage since iOS 6. Verizon 4S.

I feel it might be a hair less now but only because there is more going on in iOS 7.x...

I have all the animation and transparency stuff off ( only because I don't care for it) and have background refresh on but only with a select few apps.

xbpr

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
I have a verizon 4s and I get horrible battery life one day and decent the next after updating to 7.1. I use my phone the same every day (mainly listening to music at work). I believe the drain is tied to a 3rd party app that's open in the background. I don't use too many 3rd party apps, so it should be easy to test. I'm going to give it a go next week and see if I can't track down the source.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.