Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Has it been speculated that a 7.1 release could coincide with a hardware release?

(say, a slight iPad Air refresh in March with TouchID?)

Given all the attention it seems Apple is pouring into larger iPhones and the iWatch, 2014 might be a "meh" year for the iPad....which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The iPad Air is a monster.

Think they should move iPads back to a March timeline - this would help. Do an iPad Air point upgrade in March 2014, full blown iPad mini retina, iPad 12.9 upgrade/release in March 2015.

iWatches and iPhones in September/October.

iOSBry

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2013
There's no way they would release 6 betas for a .1 release. Golden Master is probably coming today or tomorrow or next Monday or Tuesday.
They most certainly can and if you're a DEV and have been following the beta forums, you'd know there are several critical bugs that Apple is working to resolve in 7.1 that still exist in beta 5. Bugs that are show stoppers for a number of DEVS.

iOSBry

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There's no way they would release 6 betas for a .1 release. Golden Master is probably coming today or tomorrow or next Monday or Tuesday.
Why not? It takes as many as it takes for any kind of release.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I reckon beta 6 this week, GM March 3rd and public release on the 5th. Just a guess, but I can't see it being out any later than that.

I can't decide whether to hope it's soon or hope it takes awhile yet. Only my iPhone 5C is running iOS7, it's associated to my MBA, everything else (in the way of smart devices) calls my MBP home and I have left them all running 6 until the dust settles with the next release of 7. So there'll be a lot app upgrades for those devices too, I have avoided updating any of them all this time.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Has it been speculated that a 7.1 release could coincide with a hardware release?

Given all the attention it seems Apple is pouring into larger iPhones and the iWatch, 2014 might be a "meh" year for the iPad....which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The iPad Air is a monster.

Think they should move iPads back to a March timeline - this would help. Do an iPad Air point upgrade in March 2014, full blown iPad mini retina, iPad 12.9 upgrade/release in March 2015.

There are no rumors of an iPad release.

There are rumors of AppleTV, Mac Mini, and launching third party car displays.

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
There are so many improvements in beta 5 over 7.0.4/5 that they really should get something out soon. I'm hoping/expecting 7.1 GM next week but if not they really need to release 7.0.6 in the interim.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

The rumor I read (probably BGR) is only an iPad Air 2 this year, no Mini or larger iPad.

I like to see the iWatch and IP6 sooner than September but I know that is just wishful thinking.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I hope the GM comes out today. I want to get off the beta already.

Given the pain I had trying out the beta on my main phone that's not used for development, I have hereby learned my lesson and won't try this again, that's for sure. :)

(It's not bad now, but around beta 2 and 3 it was torture! Resprings, resprings...)

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Does Golden Master mean that it is released to public or is that simply the final development stage for the software and then the NEXT release will be to the public?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Does Golden Master mean that it is released to public or is that simply the final development stage for the software and then the NEXT release will be to the public?

Golden Master is the term for the final software version (aka the version that will eventually be released to the public) but is first released to developers.

Essentially, it's the intended final version of software. It gets released to developers first. If there are no show-stopping bugs reported, it is then released to the public soon after.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
This release can't come soon enough. The constant RELOADING of tabs in Safari has been driving me insane. It's hard to fight the urge to throw the iPad out the window, along with the iPhone.

I also hope they fixed the problem of Airplay timing out when the device goes to sleep. Maddening..

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
I'm guessing beta 6 today, gm february 4th, public release march 16th.

Obviously you mean March 4 for the GM, but I really don't think there would be a 2 week waiting period between the GM and public release. Aren't they the exact same thing? I was thinking a week at the most

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.