Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Infinus.gold

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2014
Which is best and won't create problems.....

1. OTA
or
2. iTune update
or
3. iTune full fresh installation

Donoban

Suspended
Sep 7, 2013
Which is best and won't create problems.....

1. OTA
or
2. iTune update
or
3. iTune full fresh installation

Just when I thought posts couldn't become any more pointless you came out with this little gem.

Well done my friend.

Now update your device!

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I updated 6 iPhones today ranging from 4's to 5's. All except one 4s was done OTA with no problems.

Oh, and one iPad OTA. Same - no issues.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I prefer OTA, it only downloads what you need and is generally quicker imo.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I prefer iTunes. It downloads the entire OS even for an update. However I never had a problem with OTA either.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Pro tip

Updating via iTunes requires less room to be available on the iOS device due to the unpacking and expansion happening on the computer rather than your device. It also makes use of the substantial speed advantage of you laptop or desktop processor to handle the task of instal.

Example in testing testing yesterday with 7.1 install:

1) iPhone 5 OTA update required 3.9GB available took 40 min to install.

2)iPhone 5 iTunes updated via 2013 iMac installed on device with only only 2GB remaining and took 8 min to install.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
You guys aren't helpful at all. The OP asked which one creates the least problems. Sure OTA is the most convenient, but it is the worst choice when it comes to reliability. The chance that your update has some sort of network interference much higher than being hard wired into the update like via iTunes. #2 is the better choice, and #3 is even better, as it ensures there is no conflicting code that might happen by chance with the new software comparing with leftover fragments of the original software.

Stuff happens, code isn't perfect. Therefore if you want to take the least amount of risk, you make that choice.

For the OP, you want #2, or #3.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Always always always do a fresh install via iTunes. I do it on both iPads and iPhone. I never have a problem with a fresh install, and the performance is notably better, in my opinion.

I'm glad Apple offers a choice, but I say, totally fresh install.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Always always always do a fresh install via iTunes. I do it on both iPads and iPhone. I never have a problem with a fresh install, and the performance is notably better, in my opinion.

I'm glad Apple offers a choice, but I say, totally fresh install.

Is a fresh install when you restore the iPhone as a new iPhone and manually re-download apps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.