Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bradzo3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Anyone else seeing a huge iMessage type lag since updating to 7.1?

I'm using a 32gb iPhone 5S

I can go to messages, and select a contact I know doesn't have an iOS device, message them (as SMS) & it works just like normal; if I go to an iMessage contact however, and start typing, the keyboard freezes. If I wait, sometimes the characters I "typed" after it froze appear, but not always in the correct order.

I've never experienced this before so thinking it may be 7.1 issue? Whatever the case, it's very frustrating :mad:

Regards

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Nope no lag here, maybe your out of storage.

Go to general > usage and look under storage.

Bradzo3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Nope no lag here, maybe your out of storage.

Go to general > usage and look under storage.

Storage for Messages? 302mb there - nothing out of the ordinary right?

As I said, I have no lag at all sending SMS, only occurs on contacts with iMessage

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Storage for Messages? 302mb there - nothing out of the ordinary right?

As I said, I have no lag at all sending SMS, only occurs on contacts with iMessage

I meant total storage.
You can try switching Imessages of and on again, hope that helps

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
It sounds a bit like the process for detecting whether the client is available on iMessage or SMS is only possible, obviously its intensive for you to the point of slowing down Messages.

Not quite right. As others have said, enable/disable iMessage and see if it helps.

Bradzo3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
I meant total storage.
You can try switching Imessages of and on again, hope that helps

Total storage is 10GB available.

It sounds a bit like the process for detecting whether the client is available on iMessage or SMS is only possible, obviously its intensive for you to the point of slowing down Messages.

Not quite right. As others have said, enable/disable iMessage and see if it helps.

I've deactivated & reactivated iMessage, also have turned off "Send as SMS" as the exact person the problem occurs with often doesn't have GSM and the messages often get changed over as SMS's.

Even after this I'm still experiencing the same issue. Is this the sorta thing I could go to the Apple Store with? I got the phone through my provider, not direct from Apple.

Cheers

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
No lag when typing here however I do notice that when I'm on LTE I get lag when navigating the home screens and opening apps when compared to wifi.

Bradzo3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
I've tried a full restore, and still got lag...

The lag has now moved onto everything, whenever I use the keyboard.

The phone isn't jailbroken & I haven't dropped it or anything recently :confused:

No one else having this problem?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've tried a full restore, and still got lag...

The lag has now moved onto everything, whenever I use the keyboard.

The phone isn't jailbroken & I haven't dropped it or anything recently :confused:

No one else having this problem?
Do you have any mail accounts where you sync contacts? Can you try disabling the sync there to see if that makes a difference?

Have you tried disabling documents and files and/or passbook under iCloud account to see if that might make a difference?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.