Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BadBadPhillyBro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
I have an iPad 3rd generation (retina) AT&T 16gb. I loaded it with the iOS 7 beta 2, and it was quite slow; then I updated it with Beta 3 and it was still slow, but slightly better.

I put iOS 6.1.3 back on it, and I notice that iOS 7 beta 3 is especially slow:
* switching between apps
* in Safari... clicking on links, loading pages
* ... in general, sluggish.

Are there parallels with this when iOS 6 and 5 were in beta?

(I've heard that iOS 7 is fairly snappy on the iPhone 5, so I wonder what kind of performance we can expect).

After using the iOS 7 betas, iOS 6.1.3 seems really snappy and fast on the iPad.

Thoughts? Who remembers back to betas for 6 and 5?

fabytmHD

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Romania
I have beta 3 on my iPad 3 and I can say, that while it's not as snappy as iOS 5 or even 6 used to be, it's not bad at all!As you said, beta 3 did improve the general performance, which I hope will be the case with future betas as well!

You can't really compare iOS 7 betas to the older betas because iOS 7 is the first time Apple has changed so much in its system!There's a lot of optimization to be done and a lot of tweaking to get every animation right, which was not the case with older iOS versions(there were mostly features included that didn't change the Springboard or look of the OS).

I think that by the time September comes around, iOS 7 will be much more optimized for older devices.Right now, it works great on the iPhone 5 and delivers the smooth Apple experience.Not to say that it lags on my iPod Touch 5G or iPad 3, but it's clearly not buttery smooth!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.