Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Can someone clarify the claim made in this article that iOS 7 contains support for Bluetooth mouse in addition to Bluetooth keyboards?

http://www.cringely.com/2013/09/19/the-secret-of-ios-7/

Quote: "3) iOS 7 has, for the first time, support for not just Bluetooth keyboards but Bluetooth mice as well."

Since I'm still sitting on iOS 6 out of Jailbreak necessity, I can't investigate this myself.

Can someone clarify this statement? Is he basing this claim on the newly added support for video game controllers? Or does the OS now support a mouse cursor if an app developer chooses to include the option?

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Better yet, does it support both simultaneously?

Indeed and this is what I assumed.

I have BT Stack Mouse installed on my iPhone 5 and its cool to use my Apple BT keyboard and Magic Mouse while running Airplay mirroring on Apple TV. However, since it's mirroring the phone's resolution, everything is absurdly big. I imagine a true solution will allow the OS to adapt to native resolution of the mirrored screen.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Not with the Mighty Mouse which lead me to believe, no, mouse support is not there.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I would like this confirmed too, as I don't want to buy a bluetooth mouse only to find that its not supported.

Remote Desktop over iPad will be soooo much better with a mouse.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Looks like this is a no. I put my Microsoft bluetooth mouse into paring mode and the iPad doesn't see it at all.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Here is what I've found out, from an iOS developer.

1) Some, but not all, bluetooth mice will connect with iOS7 devices.
2) There is no API enabling apps to make use of a mouse, therefore mice connect cannot be used even if they can be connected.

So I would say that it is coming, but it's not quite there yet. Perhaps 7.1.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
If and when a mouse is supported, you'll see the PC market really tank since many holdovers will come to the tablet side of things. ;)

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I already use a BT keyboard with my iPad. If I get mouse support too I'll sell off all of my laptops. I hardly use them as it is, but mouseable iPads will be the nail in the coffin I think.

ELSELS

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2010
I already use a BT keyboard with my iPad. If I get mouse support too I'll sell off all of my laptops. I hardly use them as it is, but mouseable iPads will be the nail in the coffin I think.

Hello:

Do you mind if I ask, which Bluetooth (BT) Keyboard you are able to use with your iPad?

Thanks for your help and time... :)

Have a nice day/evening...

Ed

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Hello:

Do you mind if I ask, which Bluetooth (BT) Keyboard you are able to use with your iPad?

Thanks for your help and time... :)

Have a nice day/evening...

Ed

Bluetooth keyboards have been officially supported by iOS since iPad 1.

I used Apple keyboard on either iPad 1 and iPad 4. But any standard bluetooth keyboard will work really.

ELSELS

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2010
Bluetooth keyboards have been officially supported by iOS since iPad 1.

I used Apple keyboard on either iPad 1 and iPad 4. But any standard bluetooth keyboard will work really.

Thank-You for the information.. :apple: :)

Edit - Also, how does one go about (in as simple terms as possible), to try connecting a Bluetooth
keyboard to the iPad?

I never tried this procedure before..

Thanks again,

Ed

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Thank-You for the information.. :apple: :)

Edit - Also, how does one go about (in as simple terms as possible), to try connecting a Bluetooth
keyboard to the iPad?

I never tried this procedure before..

Thanks again,

Ed

Mine is a Zagg Folio case with a BT keyboard, but nearly any will work. All you have to do is turn it on, and let your iPad discover it (make sure your iPad BT is turned on). I can't remember if it prompts, or if I selected it, but from the BT menu, you just tell it to pair with the KB. Pairing instructions generally come with the KB.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Add a Bluetooth mouse and the iphone becomes a killer thin client with an rdc client.

nicromx

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2013
Has anyone tried the BT Mouse Stack with the iOS 7 jailbreak to pair the Magic Mouse to an iphone? Thanks

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Just to put this out. It's kind of a pain to use a mouse with a dedicated touch interface.

Look at Android. Mouse has been supported for years, not many utilize it though. You need to remember it works like a finger touch, so there is no double click and such.

Point is I don't see Apple doing this in it's current form just because it's not very polished.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Point is I don't see Apple doing this in it's current form just because it's not very polished.

Still, a LOT of people would welcome it - remote desktop users, for example. No wonder Android supports it flawlessly - over USB OTG too.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Still, a LOT of people would welcome it - remote desktop users, for example. No wonder Android supports it flawlessly - over USB OTG too.

I'm sure a lot of people would myself included. I just don't see Apple doing it.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
If and when a mouse is supported, you'll see the PC market really tank since many holdovers will come to the tablet side of things. ;)

Windows tablets also support this, and USB mice/keyboards/hard drives/etc...

They also support file structures, multitasking (sizable side-by-side windows), full desktop browser, external monitor, etc...

The mouse is really just the tip of the iceberg... or should I say, the point? ;);) :cool::D

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Watched the entire video and received no feedback on connecting BT mouse to iPhone with iOS7. Can you confirm this if the link/video you intended to post?
Thanks

That is the video, at 6:37 Steve Jobs say's that we will not communicate with the iPhone via a mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.