Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Hi! I am an avid user of audiotap, which lets me stream my itunes library over 3G to my iPhone. There hasn't been an update in over a year, and I fear it may break with ios 7. Is there an alternative any of you know about? Thanks!

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi! I am an avid user of audiotap, which lets me stream my itunes library over 3G to my iPhone. There hasn't been an update in over a year, and I fear it may break with ios 7. Is there an alternative any of you know about? Thanks!

Why don't you try it on iOS7 and first see if it is broken?

nilcjones

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
I'm with eroxx, Auidotap has been my savior since Dropbox bought, and then promptly folded, Audiogalaxy. I don't want to 'just try it' because if it doesn't work, I'll have to go through the hassle of downgrading back to pre-iOS 7, and since I'm holding onto to my seen-better-days iPhone 4 until I upgrade to the 5s, which probably can't even go back to anything pre-7, I don't want to be left in a lurch.

Having to figure out what portion of my 360+ GB library to sync over to the phone would be maddening. Paying for a subscription service like Spotify to have the privilege to listen to music I already own is nonsense, and besides Spotify and iTunes Match/Radio/Whatever would do no good if I wanted to listen to obscure out-of-print stuff I have, which is a major fraction of my library. Good luck finding 1960's Norwegian garage rock, late 1980's Japanese crust punk, or anything in between on those subscription services.

The ability to stream *my* music, not some other company's licensed stream-version, from my home server to my phone is critical. If Audiotap is confirmed not to work on iOS 7, that's a dealbreaker: no 5s, keep applying scotch tape to my iPhone 4 and hope the home button holds out until there's another viable alternative.

So maybe the next question becomes: are there any reasonable analogs to Audiotap that provide the same functionality?

-nil

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
With iTunes Match, if you've got a song that's not in iTunes Store - it'll be uploaded and available to you. It's not like spotify or iTunes Radio, but exactly what you're after - your entire iTunes library accessible online.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I use Plex to stream my music and movies from a server in my basement to my iDevices while traveling. Works great.

nilcjones

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
With iTunes Match, if you've got a song that's not in iTunes Store - it'll be uploaded and available to you. It's not like spotify or iTunes Radio, but exactly what you're after - your entire iTunes library accessible online.

Per Apple store:
- iTunes Match is limited to 25,000 songs.
- iTunes Store purchases made with the same Apple ID being used for iTunes Match do not count towards the 25,000 song limit.

My library is 67,875 songs currently, but only about 1,800 of those were purchased through iTunes; the rest were ripped CD's or dubbed tapes/records. Don't know how iTunes match would select the 25,000, but that would leave about 60% (and change) of my library completely unavailable on Match.

(Yes, I've spent a LOT of money on music over the years, and a LOT of time digitizing it, which makes me further reluctant to leave anything behind).

-nil

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
My library is 67,875 songs currently, but only about 1,800 of those were purchased through iTunes; the rest were ripped CD's or dubbed tapes/records. Don't know how iTunes match would select the 25,000, but that would leave about 60% (and change) of my library completely unavailable on Match.
Consider Amazon Cloud Player. That allows up to 250,000 songs. I think the Google music service also has a high limit. iOS clients for both are available.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I'll second Google Music - believe there was an app called gMusic that wasn't bad.

Don't know about library limits or they're status regarding updates, though.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Per Apple store:
- iTunes Match is limited to 25,000 songs.
- iTunes Store purchases made with the same Apple ID being used for iTunes Match do not count towards the 25,000 song limit.

(Yes, I've spent a LOT of money on music over the years, and a LOT of time digitizing it, which makes me further reluctant to leave anything behind).

-nil
Oh, I thought any and all songs available on iTunes Store was excluded from the limit, not only the purchases. But you might exceed the limit anyway... I hope you'll find a viable solution!

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Audiotap seems to work with audiotap, although it's not my favorite interface.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Wanted to give this a bump, Audiotap is a year old but looks like it would work. I'm a bit dubious about buying an app that hasn't been updated in case it's left to rot (site hasn't been updated either)

Any other similar apps? (without uploading music to the cloud) The requirement is to stream your iTunes library over 3G to your iPhone

thanks!

Sprtm

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013
Audiotap still works fine on iOS 7, but it has some flaws in the UI.

Judging by the lack of communication from the devs I assume Audiotap is dead, which is sad. Hands down the app I use the most on my devices.

StreamToMy has an awful UI, can't use it.

Plex is fine, but it lacks last.fm support and the possibility to change bitrate. And UI is so-so.

Audiotap is just really great, so glad I found it, really bad it's abandoned.

Let is know if you find any alternatives.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I'm still using audiotap, sadly ...

Although I've now found that if I rate a song in it, when I sync back to itunes it seems that now the entire ALBUM gets changed to that rating, which is a big deal to me (in a bad way.)

I like rating my songs and so Plex isn't an option for me until you can do this.

Oh well ... ;0

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
I've always had a ton of success with Air Video for iOS and Air Video Server for OS X/Windows. The beauty is that the files don't even need to be in iTunes, they can be in folders on your hard drive and can even be converted and put into iTunes on the fly.

skoosht

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Los Angeles, CA, USA
+1 for airvideo. nothing better

throw a computer in your closet with a bunch of HD's and put Airvideo on for movies/tv. (works great with appletv too) Subsonic + iSub for music.

eroxx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Agreed - airvideo is amazing, but I really wish there'd be a system for audio.

adyton666

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2013
There's also MyTunesRSS

I've been using MyTunesRSS for years and it works beautifully on my MAC and IOS. It's 15€ for a license. (windows/Linux version is also available)

Features I like:

-Integrates with iTunes (playlists etc..)
-Free IOS app (iPhone / iPad)
-Guest accounts for my friends
-Web interface with several players available
-Also support for Videos

http://www.codewave.de/mytunesrss.php

Last edited:

LastOneToKnow

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
East Coast, USA
Audiotap still works fine on iOS 7, but it has some flaws in the UI.

Judging by the lack of communication from the devs I assume Audiotap is dead, which is sad. Hands down the app I use the most on my devices.

StreamToMy has an awful UI, can't use it.

Plex is fine, but it lacks last.fm support and the possibility to change bitrate. And UI is so-so.

Audiotap is just really great, so glad I found it, really bad it's abandoned.

Let is know if you find any alternatives.

I've been looking for an AudioGalaxy replacement for some time. Audiotap appears to fit my specific needs. Before purchasing this app I need to determine how browsing by "Genre" and "Artist" are handled as I have yet to find any videos or screenshots online that show the browsing structure used. Only interested in purchasing the app if browsing by "Genre" and "Artist" are handled just as they are with Apple's music app on iOS 6.13 per my iPhone 4, i.e. Genre\Artist\Album\Song, Artist\Album\Song where at the top of each level the option of browsing by "All Albums" or "All Songs" is also still offered respectively. Can anyone confirm on this? Thanks!

BBlue777c

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2013
I am happy to know that the plex is fine, but it lacks last.fm support and the possibility to change bitrate.
kc0X8t
And UI is so-so, and Paying for a subscription service like Spotify to have the privilege to listen to music I already own is nonsense, and besides Spotify and iTunes Match/Radio/Whatever would do no good if I wanted to listen to obscure out-of-print stuff I have, which is a major fraction of my library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.