Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Just wondering; I know in the conference they mentioned one could see their iTunes movie library. So, can I just straightforward stream the movie to my iPhone like I do with my aTV? Or do I still have to download the movie to "stream" like in iOS 6?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Just wondering; I know in the conference they mentioned one could see their iTunes movie library. So, can I just straightforward stream the movie to my iPhone like I do with my aTV? Or do I still have to download the movie to "stream" like in iOS 6?

I hope it's like on the computer where you can choose to stream or download, same with tv shows

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
It's only showing an option to download for me..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 179

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I'm not sure when this happened but I can hit play for any of my iTunes movies on the iphone now including over LTE and it plays/streams. I hope this is a feature that makes it to GM

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Yes, you can stream them if you want.

That will be huge. I mean huge. If you buy your stuff on iTunes, you're carrying around a movie store in your pocket. I just wish Apple could work out something like iTunes Match for video.

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
I just wish Apple could work out something like iTunes Match for video.

While I really wish they did something like that too, think about it... it's not gonna happen. iTunes Match for Music makes sense because many people bought music in CDs in the past and it is legal to copy those over directly via iTunes. For movies, though, you cannot legally rip DVDs (with a few exceptions) and therefore, if you don't do anything illegal, every movie you have on your computer was bought from somewhere online, and odds are that somewhere was iTunes. In addition to this, I can't even imagine the price of iTunes Match for Movies, considering that it's $24.99 for songs that cost, on average, $0.99. If you consider that a movie costs on average $9.99 (and many cost more), then multiplying the cost of iTunes Match by 10 gives you $249.99, which I don't think anyone would pay...

Pietro

Last edited:

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
It definitely works, I streamed a movie from start to finish yesterday over LTE. I do think it's a) locally caching or b) downloading the movie and playing as it downloads, but I'm guessing a over b because I can seek to any position and wait a few seconds for it to catch up.

Eitel

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Well, it needs to cache some of the movie in order to have good streaming quality. It just doesn't download all of it, it still plays from the cloud.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
While I really wish they did something like that too, think about it... it's not gonna happen. iTunes Match for Music makes sense because many people bought music in CDs in the past and it is legal to copy those over directly via iTunes. For movies, though, you cannot legally rip DVDs (with a few exceptions) and therefore, if you don't do anything illegal, every movie you have on your computer was bought from somewhere online, and odds are that somewhere was iTunes. In addition to this, I can't even imagine the price of iTunes Match for Movies, considering that it's $24.99 for songs that cost, on average, $0.99. If you consider that a movie costs on average $9.99 (and many cost more), then multiplying the cost of iTunes Match by 10 gives you $249.99, which I don't think anyone would pay...

Pietro

Believe me, I know it's a pipe dream. I decided earlier this year to start buying everything through iTunes because I got tired of hunting down discs and the video quality is finally just about even. I figured out how to rip my BDs, so no more freakin' "FBI Warning" and then 18 "fresh" previews from BD Live and some studio ad for "LOST the complete fourth season, coming soon!"

And then you finally reach the movie/TV show.

Plus I have found it really fun to buy a movie three weeks early on iTunes and then amuse myself at all the "OMG I JUST GOT THIS MOVIE TODAY!" when it hits discs. But at least with the ones I buy I can take them to someone else's house with an Apple TV and stream them instead of needing them on my phone.

jnappleseed

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2013

The other day I was "streaming" a movie. After I was done I went into setting and usage and I nouticed the video app had a considerable size due to the movie. I suspect the streaming works like iTunes Match. It's only cached, not actually saved

KCBRUIN

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2013
Bringing this thread back to life as I didn't see a newer one, and I didn't think a new thread was warranted.

I was able to stream movies over LTE when ios 7 first released. Now when I try and stream over LTE the movie starts to load, and then it stops and goes back to the movie poster screen. I'm still able to stream over wifi, and I'm on a 5s.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is there something I'm doing wrong? I am an iTunes Match subscriber if that matters. I'm also on the latest software .02.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
Bringing this thread back to life as I didn't see a newer one, and I didn't think a new thread was warranted.

I was able to stream movies over LTE when ios 7 first released. Now when I try and stream over LTE the movie starts to load, and then it stops and goes back to the movie poster screen. I'm still able to stream over wifi, and I'm on a 5s.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is there something I'm doing wrong? I am an iTunes Match subscriber if that matters. I'm also on the latest software .02.

Same here! Did you ever figure it out!?

gstevie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2009
Glasgow
Same here! Did you ever figure it out!?

I'm not sure if it is the correct answer - or one u want. But I talked about this a while ago in another thread and it seems we cannot stream over anything other than wifi. If u use my iPhone connected to wifi streams, turn wifi off works a ok. Get my wifi only iPad Air and personal hotspot over my iPhone (regardless of its internet connection) and stream the movie and it works because the hotspot connection forces the iPhone off of wifi and the iPad thinks it's connected via wifi so it plays.

Only thing I cannot figure out is how long the "buffered" stream stays on the device as mentioned above the video app seems to take up space in the about section after you do it.

Hope that answers a bit! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.