Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuitarMan0121

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2014
So I bought a new set earphones and the left ear is a teeny, tiny bit louder than the right (maybe burn-in will fix it?). Until then I was going to use iOS 7's audio volume balance to compensate, no big deal right? Well, the amount I need to move the slider is almost nothing but it does noticeably correct the LR balance, however, in Apple's infinite wisdom, the slider snaps back to center if it's only moved slightly. I now cannot correct the audio balance at all because it keeps moving back to center! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS APPLE?!?!:eek::confused::mad:

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
So that people (especially if they don't notice) don't set it off center accidentally. It sounds like there is something wrong with your earphones.
Maybe they could add a reset button instead of an automatic snap back in the future.

Reactions: Rocko99991

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What would be the point of it automatically snapping back right away given that doesn't actually allow for any adjustment in that case?

GuitarMan0121

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2014
After a few hours of break-in today, the earbud's channels are more balanced. I think a few more hours ought to do it. Still, that slider was not quite thought all the way through :rolleyes:

gburt

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2014
I found a work around for the slider snapping into place. I have a set of headphones where the balance is just slightly off. When the balance control is centered, the volume in my right headphone speaker is noticeably louder, but the first spot the balance slider snaps to when I adjust it to the left is too much of an adjustment and makes the volume noticeably louder in my left ear.

What I figured out is that when you adjust the slider the balance shifts smoothly and only snaps into place when you release it. If you find a non-snap location that you like, keep your finger on the slider in that position and hit the home button to get out settings. The slider will not snap into a pre-defined location because it never detects your finger coming off the screen. If you go back into settings the balance will remain the same until you touch the balance slider again.

This works for me with iOS 7.1.1 with my iPhone 4S and iPad 3.

GuitarMan0121

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2014
Thanks for the tip :D I tried two sets of the same earbuds and both sounded un-centered. It turns out the problem was the right earpiece didn't fit my ear correctly, with any of the tip sizes. I returned them and found a pair that fit perfectly. It's good know about the slider though for future reference.

Reactions: Rocko99991

Exterminator13

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2017
I found a work around for the slider snapping into place. I have a set of headphones where the balance is just slightly off. When the balance control is centered, the volume in my right headphone speaker is noticeably louder, but the first spot the balance slider snaps to when I adjust it to the left is too much of an adjustment and makes the volume noticeably louder in my left ear.

What I figured out is that when you adjust the slider the balance shifts smoothly and only snaps into place when you release it. If you find a non-snap location that you like, keep your finger on the slider in that position and hit the home button to get out settings. The slider will not snap into a pre-defined location because it never detects your finger coming off the screen. If you go back into settings the balance will remain the same until you touch the balance slider again.

I just registered to say thank you m8. This may have been most helpful solution I've ever found on internet!

Atreyu187

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2016

I just signed up to extend my thanks for this! My adjustment is needed not because of headphones being poorly built hit because my ears don't have the same hearing they used to so my left side needs a slight help but only when I wear headphones. Not nearly enough to need hearing aids haha

tumew

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2021

Apple hasn't fixed it in iOS 14. Thank you so much for this simple work around!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.