Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2009
When I had the previous iOS version it used to ask me to remember or update the password. Now when I log into google or any other website that it used to ask me before, it doesn't. I have keychain enabled in settings.

phreebsd

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
make sure you arent accidentally using private mode.
You dont get prompted when using Private mode.

DiscoMcDisco

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
London
Sites have had the ability for quite a while now to block this, I would imagine the sites you're visiting have implemented something either recently (or a long time ago, but you already have saved password data for them).

Workaround: Go to the site on your desktop and force the save password into your keychain > iCloud Keychain will then make it available to your device.

You can manually enter passwords in safari settings for sites which won't save automatically.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Sites have had the ability for quite a while now to block this, I would imagine the sites you're visiting have implemented something either recently (or a long time ago, but you already have saved password data for them).

Workaround: Go to the site on your desktop and force the save password into your keychain > iCloud Keychain will then make it available to your device.

You can manually enter passwords in safari settings for sites which won't save automatically.

This shouldn't be an issue anymore. Safari on Mavericks at least added an option to ignore sites that tell the browser not to save passwords. However, this option seems to have been removed in Safari 7.1 (Mavericks) and Safari 8.0 (Yosemite.) Instead, Safari seems to entirely ignore browsers by default, and always attempts to save passwords. For instance, I checked the behavior on wellsfargo.com using Safari 7.1 and Safari 8.0. In the source for the login page, Wells Fargo uses the "autocomplete=off" setting for the login/password form, which traditionally prevents saving or filling of passwords. However, Safari 7.1/8.0 will successfully autocomplete and save passwords on this form regardless of the autocomplete=off attribute on the form.

It's worth noting that Firefox 30 and above also ignore this attribute. The tide seems to be turning against sites being able to dictate whether you can use a password manager, and for good reason.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.