Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
It's out.

----------

Here is a list with the changes:
Apple Pay support for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus (U.S. only)
Photos includes new features, improvements and fixes
Adds iCloud Photo Library as a beta service
Adds Camera Roll album in Photos app and My Photo Stream album when iCloud Photo Library is not enabled
Provides alerts when running low on space before capturing Time Lapse videos
Messages includes new features, improvements and fixes
Adds the ability for iPhone users to send and receive SMS and MMS text messages from their iPad and Mac
Resolves an issue where search would sometimes not display results
Fixes a bug that caused read messages to not be marked as read
Fixes issues with group messaging
Resolves issues with Wi-Fi performance that could occur when connected to some base stations
Fixes an issue that could prevent connections to Bluetooth hands-free devices
Fixes bugs that could cause screen rotation to stop working
Adds an option to select between 2G, 3G or LTE networks for cellular data
Fixes an issue in Safari where videos would sometimes not play
Adds AirDrop support for Passbook passes
Adds an option to enable Dictation in Settings for Keyboards, separate from Siri
Enables HealthKit apps to access data in the background
Accessibility improvements and fixes
Fixes an issue that prevented Guided Access from working properly
Fixes a bug where VoiceOver would not work with 3rd party keyboards
Improves stability and audio quality when using MFi Hearing Aids with iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
Fixes an issue with VoiceOver where tone dialing would get stuck on a tone until dialing another number
Improves reliability when using handwriting, Bluetooth keyboards and Braille displays with VoiceOver
Fixes an issue that was preventing the use of OS X Caching Server for iOS updates

----------

RDAR

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
7GB? It says it requires 127MB on my iPhone 6 Plus OTA update. Am I missing something?

humar

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
Italy
1,6Gb from 8.1 beta 2 on my 4S

Is this the first time that it's possible to update OTA from beta to final release?

66Mb on my iPad 3 with 8.0.2

seme332

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2013
Berlin
1,6Gb from 8.1 beta 2 on my 4S

Is this the first time that it's possible to update OTA from beta to final release?

66Mb on my iPad 3 with 8.0.2

I second that! iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1 Beta 2... Can update OTA normally... #

lewy

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
Yeah, please write something about performance on iPad mini 2. Do we still have to deal with lag in Safari, Spotlight, screen rotation?

vasili0s

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
Athens,Greece
iOS 8.1 Bug Fixes And Changes

1.9gb ota from 8.1 beta2 on 5s

On an i5. Same beta.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413826107.188348.jpg

solosdk

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2013
I'm currently in the process of installing it on my rMini 2.

I hope they have fixed it but it seems like they haven't because the performance on my dads iPhone 5 seems the same

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
If you're smart enough to create a thread like that, you should be able to make it into a wiki.

btkadams

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2012
to anyone wondering, the stutter in the animation between portrait and landscape in spotlight on the iphone 6 plus is still there. i only tested that because it's the only animation i ever really paid attention to that had a stutter. if anyone wants me to try out a different action, let me know.

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
to anyone wondering, the stutter in the animation between portrait and landscape in spotlight on the iphone 6 plus is still there. i only tested that because it's the only animation i ever really paid attention to that had a stutter. if anyone wants me to try out a different action, let me know.

Try with increase contrast on

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Very cool that you can update OTA from 8.1 beta. In the past we had to download the update from a direct link and install through iTunes. Nice move :apple:!

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
You know how some of the blur effects on the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were a bit weird, where you could still read text through the blur?

That's been fixed in 8.1

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland

Going between list view or detailed view in the weather app. As far as I know every device out there with iOS 8 experienced lag and dropped frames.

btkadams

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2012
Try with increase contrast on

it didn't do it with the contrast on, but that could be because the animation is cached. it doesn't stutter when you do it several times in a short period of time. i'll have to check again later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.