Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I'm still stuck down on 8.1 as I don't want to lose my...like...THREE tweaks. LOL

Since Yahoo Mail won't allow retrieval on that iOS as of 15 hours ago, is there an app to circumvent this? Email - Edison Mail?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Is it possible it's your connection?

I just downloaded the Yahoo Mail app on my iPad Air 2 (IOS 8.1) and logged right in. Mail is sending and receiveing just fine.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Is it possible it's your connection?

I just downloaded the Yahoo Mail app on my iPad Air 2 (IOS 8.1) and logged right in. Mail is sending and receiveing just fine.

LOL I think anyone on THIS section would know to check their connection. ;)

How did you JUST download the Yahoo Mail app as it "Requires iOS 10.0 or later"???

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
LOL I think anyone on THIS section would know to check their connection. ;)

How did you JUST download the Yahoo Mail app as it "Requires iOS 10.0 or later"???
It offered me the option to download an older version for iOS 8. I took the option.

I will admit that lately I've noticed something funny happening in the App store where I try to download something I have downloaded in the past and it just stops. But I'm not sure if that's because Apple is stopping 32-bit downloads period or if it's wierdness on my iPad. But it's happened twice now.

I found that running iCleaner Pro and then rebooting has had the effect of the App store properly asking me if I want to download an older version of an app and then it downloading.

But again, not sure if that's because of the app store or something wierd on my iPad.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
It offered me the option to download an older version for iOS 8. I took the option.

I will admit that lately I've noticed something funny happening in the App store where I try to download something I have downloaded in the past and it just stops. But I'm not sure if that's because Apple is stopping 32-bit downloads period or if it's wierdness on my iPad. But it's happened twice now.

I found that running iCleaner Pro and then rebooting has had the effect of the App store properly asking me if I want to download an older version of an app and then it downloading.

But again, not sure if that's because of the app store or something wierd on my iPad.

So you had downloaded the app in the past? I've never seen that option of matching the app with an older version of iOS. I know there is a workaround to make ALL versions of an app appear, but it is PAINFUL.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So you had downloaded the app in the past? I've never seen that option of matching the app with an older version of iOS. I know there is a workaround to make ALL versions of an app appear, but it is PAINFUL.
Well, there's App Admin, which is a jailbreak tweak.

But the option to download an older version is a stock Apple feature. But it is dependent on the developer.

If the dev leaves a version for that iOS on Apple's servers AND if it is an app you have downloaded at least ONCE in the past (no matter how long ago) you SHOULD be presented with this option.

Apple even lets you continue to download apps that you have downloaded in the past when they are no longer in the app store.

If you have never downloaded the app though you are out of luck.

I have at least one app I downloaded in the past that's not available on the app store anymore.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Well, there's App Admin, which is a jailbreak tweak.

But the option to download an older version is a stock Apple feature. But it is dependent on the developer.

If the dev leaves a version for that iOS on Apple's servers AND if it is an app you have downloaded at least ONCE in the past (no matter how long ago) you SHOULD be presented with this option.

Apple even lets you continue to download apps that you have downloaded in the past when they are no longer in the app store.

If you have never downloaded the app though you are out of luck.

I have at least one app I downloaded in the past that's not available on the app store anymore.

Yup. Never downloaded the app before.

WRT when I HAVE downloaded an app: I've got a few that are not working on iOS8.1. Haven't downloaded any updates to the Mac as I know the newest ones are not compatible. How would I go about getting the option to download the latest version that is compatible with iOS8.1 as you've mentioned above? Do I delete it off the phone, then try to download it again?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yup. Never downloaded the app before.

WRT when I HAVE downloaded an app: I've got a few that are not working on iOS8.1. Haven't downloaded any updates to the Mac as I know the newest ones are not compatible. How would I go about getting the option to download the latest version that is compatible with iOS8.1 as you've mentioned above? Do I delete it off the phone, then try to download it again?
I am assuming that since your thread is in the jailbreak section you've got a device that is jailbroken.

If I'm right then I can zip the Yahoo IPA for you on my iPad and give you a link to it.

You need either Fileza or iFile though.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I am assuming that since your thread is in the jailbreak section you've got a device that is jailbroken.

If I'm right then I can zip the Yahoo IPA for you on my iPad and give you a link to it.

You need either Fileza or iFile though.

Yup. Jailbroken. Which is why I'm stuck down at 8.1. :(

Was poking around and followed the directions here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/263568/how-to-install-older-versions-of-ios-apps-on-an-old-iphone-or-ipad/

Forced a download of Yahoo Mail 4.6.2. All is good. Appreciate the assist.

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.