Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
My last backup was on 4/20 and now icloud said "The icloud backup could not be completed" and when I try to backup in itunes I get "Could not backup iPhone because an error occured" any idea how to fix this?

Reactions: MyMacintosh

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Log out of iCloud and then log back in again. Try to do a manual restore.
If it still fails despite a strong WiFi connection then delete your backup, log out of iCloud, log back in and create a fresh backup.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
i tried moving the backup out of the backup folder and trying to backup. that didn't work. im hesitant to delete the icloud backup i have because if it still doesn't work i have no backup.....

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
did you try logging out of your icloud and back in on your phone. also, try a hard reboot.

BrandonHacks

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
Texas
Had this problem.. you may need to log in on a different iOS device and delete the backup of the problematic device. Then plug in to power and let it backup.

Speksi

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
Had this problem.. you may need to log in on a different iOS device and delete the backup of the problematic device. Then plug in to power and let it backup.

Ok, so when I will get my new iPhone6 later this or next week, I can log in with my username and delete old backup (how to do that??). After that I can make new backup with my old phone and then drive it to my new phone?

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Having this problem on 8.4.1 hope this doesn't have something to do with apple stopping signing it...

BrandonHacks

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
Texas
Ok, so when I will get my new iPhone6 later this or next week, I can log in with my username and delete old backup (how to do that??). After that I can make new backup with my old phone and then drive it to my new phone?
Yes you'll need to setup the new iPhone as new, log into icloud from the settings menu and under iCloud go to >Storage>Manage Storage>delete the backup for your old device.

Now try to backup from your old phone and if successful Go to General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings (FROM YOUR NEW PHONE) and then setup the phone with your iCloud backup..

That seems like a lot to do, but really it's simple.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Having this problem on 8.4.1 hope this doesn't have something to do with apple stopping signing it...
This is where I am at.

I think my update to 8.4.1 on the 15th didn't go well, my space went away, and the phone has been freaking out. Today I devoted to dealing with it as I could not do anything last night. Messages aren't sending/receiving, rebooting.

I cannot back it up via iTunes, I cannot back it up via iCloud (wasn't using). I managed to finally get my pictures off as something was hanging 3/4 of the way during that process. Aperture to the rescue, it hung but just on a preview and I worked around it.

I"ve renamed and deleted my iTunes backup from the 15th (after copying to an external). I've done all the updates to iTunes and the computer....

I'm left with zapping it and starting over. The AppleCare lady just said I had one shot to try an update, but she didn't send me anything that had that - just a wipe and start over.

I"m only happy to hear i'm not alone in the unable to backup department. UGH.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
This is where I am at.

I think my update to 8.4.1 on the 15th didn't go well, my space went away, and the phone has been freaking out. Today I devoted to dealing with it as I could not do anything last night. Messages aren't sending/receiving, rebooting.

I cannot back it up via iTunes, I cannot back it up via iCloud (wasn't using). I managed to finally get my pictures off as something was hanging 3/4 of the way during that process. Aperture to the rescue, it hung but just on a preview and I worked around it.

I"ve renamed and deleted my iTunes backup from the 15th (after copying to an external). I've done all the updates to iTunes and the computer....

I'm left with zapping it and starting over. The AppleCare lady just said I had one shot to try an update, but she didn't send me anything that had that - just a wipe and start over.

I"m only happy to hear i'm not alone in the unable to backup department. UGH.

Yeah its definitely something with an old back up. Did you upgrade, then downgrade back to 8.4.1?

Speksi

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
Yes you'll need to setup the new iPhone as new, log into icloud from the settings menu and under iCloud go to >Storage>Manage Storage>delete the backup for your old device.

Now try to backup from your old phone and if successful Go to General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings (FROM YOUR NEW PHONE) and then setup the phone with your iCloud backup..

That seems like a lot to do, but really it's simple.

I got new phone but when I signed in to iCloud it didn't show any backups... :( Still having that same problem and I can't get my data from old phone to new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.