Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoolGuy9890

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2014
I recently changed my Gmail Password, and in iOS 8.3, I'm not able to change password of email account directly in the Settings app (Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > XXX@example.com > Account > 4th Option in iOS 8.2 & GONE in iOS 8.3). What I had to do was to delete that email and add it again.

Is anyone having this problem? Also I checked in iOS 8.2 I'm my friend's iPhone and you are able to change the password. This problem exists in all of my iOS 8.3 devices.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Was that available for Gmail (and similar Yahoo!, etc.) accounts even before? I remember being asked automatically to update my password when the phone couldn't connect to it after I changed the password at some point, but I don't recall the option being there in settings (aside from maybe Exchange accounts).

Does your friend have the same type of account set up the same way (and not as Exchange or something like that)?

Last edited:

CoolGuy9890

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2014
All was the same. Even in my friend's device. It also asked me automatically and it brought me to the Settings app, but there is no place where I could enter the password. BTW, my friend updated to iOS 8.3 soon after I told him about this, and the password option disappeared.

CoolGuy9890

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2014
Look at the screenshots

Attachments

• Mail Enter Password.jpg
    Mail Enter Password.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 5,381

graley

macrumors regular
May 25, 2010
Australia
Gmail passwords

I am a beginner at this, but I believe you have to your gmail account in your browser and edit passwords there

CoolGuy9890

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2014
You use the browser to change the actual Gmail password. To update the password on the iPhone, it has to be done in the settings.

Last edited:

MDJCM

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
UK, South
Guys, it's true, there is no obvious way to enter / re-enter a Gmail password in iOS now.

The only way I've seen is to delete the account and re-add it.

Apexigsx

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2015
I just changed my gmail password and when I went to change it in my iPhone mail settings, I noticed the password field was gone.

So I decided to check my gmail using the iPhone built in mail app, thinking it would say wrong password, and maybe prompt me for the new password. The mail app successfully checked my gmail email even though I didn't enter the new password in my iPhone. How did it do that? I admit I changed the password in safari, using the desktop view of gmail.com. I didn't let safari store the password, so I'm just confused as to how the iPhone mail program knows my new gmail password automatically.

Reactions: salmaans

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013
In iOS 8.3 and above, GMail now uses OAuth so it doesn't actually store your password on the device but instead stores a token. The token is linked to your account so it doesn't require Mail to change your password if your GMail password changes.

You can change your GMail password from the GMail website.

To revoke access to GMail, go to https://security.google.com/settings/security/permissions?pli=1 in your web browser. You should see iOS there.

Reactions: Apexigsx

rayjbenet

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2015
In iOS 8.3 and above, GMail now uses OAuth so it doesn't actually store your password on the device but instead stores a token. The token is linked to your account so it doesn't require Mail to change your password if your GMail password changes.

You can change your GMail password from the GMail website.

To revoke access to GMail, go to https://security.google.com/settings/security/permissions?pli=1 in your web browser. You should see iOS there.

-----
This is illuminating - thanks!

Now - do you know how this affects Google's 2-step Verification? The instructions from Google when trying to set up 2-step for your iOS device still reference the older iOS screenshot where you can set the password there.

So the question is how do you affect 2-step Verification for the device since Google generates a new passkey that is supposed to be for the mail client on each device they want you to verify?
THanks

Chellspecker

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
-----
This is illuminating - thanks!

Now - do you know how this affects Google's 2-step Verification? The instructions from Google when trying to set up 2-step for your iOS device still reference the older iOS screenshot where you can set the password there.

So the question is how do you affect 2-step Verification for the device since Google generates a new passkey that is supposed to be for the mail client on each device they want you to verify?
THanks

I am having the same problem as the OP of this thread. I use Gmail's 2-part verification, and somehow managed to get it to work with iOS Mail, but then all of a sudden yesterday, Mail on the phone is prompting me for a password, and as noted by the OP, there is NO field to enter your password anymore. I didn't even change my password, so why would it suddenly forget it, unless it has something to do with 2-part verification, and there being a new password?

I am beginning to think this complexity is intentional on Apple's part, so that you will just give up and start using Apple Mail and paying for iCloud.

KingZee

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2012
This is pretty mind boggling! I'm a Google Apps email admin and reseller and I believe this just occurred with a user where I changed their password but it did not lock them out of their gmail account on their iphone or request for a new password to be entered. I can't seem to figure out how to make sure they are locked out (through the admin console, not the individual users admin settings) and I just spoke with Google support and they pretty much told me that if I change a password the user is locked out oauth or not.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is pretty mind boggling! I'm a Google Apps email admin and reseller and I believe this just occurred with a user where I changed their password but it did not lock them out of their gmail account on their iphone or request for a new password to be entered. I can't seem to figure out how to make sure they are locked out (through the admin console, not the individual users admin settings) and I just spoke with Google support and they pretty much told me that if I change a password the user is locked out oauth or not.
You might have to sign out all instances/connections via Google and/or even revoke the rights of iOS connection so that it would have to be re-established.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.