Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
Anyone experiencing random reboots on iOS 8.3? Had one yesterday and just one now. On iPad Air 16GB. Did not experience in earlier versions.

Last edited:

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
I had one not very long after updating also. It wasn't really a reboot I think (just the same logo / screen), because I did not have to unlock the phone when it went away again. I closed all open applications and rebooted manually and it's been fine since (best practice with big iOS updates).

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
Never had any reboots since I got my iPhone 6.

If you do get reboots, you may wanna reinstall iOS fresh and monitor.

laszlo182

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
I have 6 Plus and I had random reboots since day 1. On some versions there were less (nearly any), however, on 8.3 they happen again. They happen only when double-clicking the home button to bring up multitasking.

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
I have 6 Plus and I had random reboots since day 1. On some versions there were less (nearly any), however, on 8.3 they happen again. They happen only when double-clicking the home button to bring up multitasking.

Think you need to have your phone checked out at the Genius Bar

laszlo182

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Think you need to have your phone checked out at the Genius Bar

I definitely would if there would be any in my country... I went to one Premium Reseller which we have here to a customer service and they said that I could leave it there and they would check it but it will take several weeks (up to a month) and most probably they wouldn't be able to anything...

And I also checked their demo units and they did lag too (rotation lag when changing screen orientation in Messages.app with onscreen keyboard), so I thought it's general problem with RAM on iPhones 6 Plus.

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013
I just had one as well also by using the home button.

After investigating a bit, it's not really a real reboot so there won't be much on the diagnostic logs.

The SpringBoard process just leaks more than it usually does and iOS kills it because it's using too much memory.

You should see a whole bunch of JetsamEvent logs around that time and if you open them, SpringBoard should be the largest process.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I've never had a full reboot but I have experienced two or three springboard crashes where the Apple logo comes up briefly and I'm back to the home screen. This was whilst running 8.1.2

8.3 has been ok for me so far. No app crashes, no springboard crashes and only some minimal screen freezing. It still isn't perfect by any means but it's the most solid build yet.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Every other day on 8.2 versions

I'll rephrase, "how many have you had?"

How disappointing, thought 8.3 had fixed the random resets I was having with 8.2 version. On 8.3 I have had No random resets. Did do an iTunes update, however. As others have suggested you might want to try an iTunes restore.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Same issue happened to me today. I have an iPad Air 16GB and I had a respring by getting in multitasking.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Same issue. Not a proper reboot but a Springboard crash. Happens when updating apps, swiping between home screens, bringing up multitasking pane, etc. I believe it's a memory issue and there's nothing much you can do except hope Apple fixes it.

lobbyist

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2008
Montreal, QC
iPhone 5S 64gb - same issue. Springboard crash/reset. About 10 so far (I installed 8.3 the day it came out). Appears to be totally random, but updating apps does seem to be a trigger.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
the isssue is not occuring about 5 days both on my 5s and mini 2 retina..

there may be some incompatible apps causing that. i made my updates on App store and looks like it's fixed now.

Apply the updates one by one. don't hit the ''update all''

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.