Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrentT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
CarPlay has been modified a bit in iOS 8.4. I am using it on a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX. It is not capable of wireless CarPlay, which I believe will require the head unit to connect via WiFi.

Audiobooks now has its own button on Carplay which shifted Podcasts (which I listen to more) to the next page. I wish CarPlay allowed me to organize my icons like I can on the phone. If there is a way to edit the order of CarPlay icons I would love to know.

The Music icon now has its new icon but pretty much offers only your playlists and music available on your phone. Although I subscribed to Apple Music there is no option for searching for music from iTunes or playing a suggested playlist.

There seems to be an improvement in the overall function of CarPlay. In previous iOS versions I would sometimes have hiccups in getting CarPlay to start, or getting Podcasts to resume play. I found that only quitting the Podcast on the phone or even restarting the phone would get it to work again.

I am now a big fan of CarPlay and will not buy a car without it.

Reactions: comics addict

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I agree with everything mentioned here, especially the ability to move Podcasts back to the main screen. I am also using the Pioneer head unit and the whole solution does feel a bit more stable with 8.4
New car coming in September and it will have CarPlay utilising the manufacturers head unit. Wouldn't buy another car without it.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
Concur as well regarding the ability to personalize the app icons in CarPlay. Besides the navigation complexity for song view while driving it really solves my main problems of using my phone for a pletora of things while driving.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.