Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
You can still pay for it by donating after the fact.
That's what I do.
Jb is not a business and never was for real jb devs.
It's not about the money.
And if you didn't get scammed there's plenty of scam websites out there that trick many people thinking they can pay to have something faster that is not even available.
Just thinking that you can have immediate updated iOS jb's is not really logical.
Jb takes lots and lots of work, time and most of the time team efforts by many. You don't just go up against the latest iOS version and a few minutes later you jb it immediately realistically speaking.

If it was monetized (like everything else in life) service would be faster. And it could be a business. In fact people advertise and jailbreak devices for people locally, so that portion of things is a business. As is Cydia and the apps,themes,etc. which are all businesses. Without them, jailbreaking would be pretty much pointless (for most people).

I think the only reason why the majority of the jailbreakers aren't making money off of their talent is that they are excellent hackers, with amazing computer skills, but lack the ability to monetize things properly (business sense). Because if they could make lots of money doing what they love, they would.

And I wasn't really meaning instant jailbreaks, but if there were was more competition, money involved, etc. there may be more interest/time spent on working on jailbreaking each subsequent update that Apple puts out.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If it was monetized (like everything else in life) service would be faster. And it could be a business. In fact people advertise and jailbreak devices for people locally, so that portion of things is a business. As is Cydia and the apps,themes,etc. which are all businesses. Without them, jailbreaking would be pretty much pointless (for most people).

I think the only reason why the majority of the jailbreakers aren't making money off of their talent is that they are excellent hackers, with amazing computer skills, but lack the ability to monetize things properly (business sense). Because if they could make lots of money doing what they love, they would.

And I wasn't really meaning instant jailbreaks, but if there were was more competition, money involved, etc. there may be more interest/time spent on working on jailbreaking each subsequent update that Apple puts out.

Im pretty sure they make money one way or another.
Through donations or other kickbacks.
Its definately not enough for what they do. Its not an easy task and takes a long, tedious and persistent work.
Those that have those type of programming and hacking skills can do more in life than just JB iphones for fun.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014

Well you can't just make a jailbreak. You have to find and exploit a vulnerability. Then you have to consider the viability of turning that process into a workable jailbreak that is simple enough for the non-developer masses to use. Finding and exploiting a vulnerability becomes more difficult with each release because Apple patches the previous vulnerabilities.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Well you can't just make a jailbreak. You have to find and exploit a vulnerability. Then you have to consider the viability of turning that process into a workable jailbreak that is simple enough for the non-developer masses to use. Finding and exploiting a vulnerability becomes more difficult with each release because Apple patches the previous vulnerabilities.

Exactly.
And then you have to make sure Cydia, substrate and all other tasks running under the hood work with the new ios version and the new hardware devices out there. Its a long process with many obstacles and trial and error. And again even if you find a exploit and JB it you wont be able to use Cydia until its updated. And most JB hacks would need to be updated also and so on. Its a team effort by everyone that needs to work together.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Exactly.
And then you have to make sure Cydia, substrate and all other tasks running under the hood work with the new ios version and the new hardware devices out there. Its a long process with many obstacles and trial and error. And again even if you find a exploit and JB it you wont be able to use Cydia until its updated. And most JB hacks would need to be updated also and so on. Its a team effort by everyone that needs to work together.

Thank you. It's so nice to see that some folks actually understand how all of this works.

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
Just like any other type of enterprise, by adding financial gain to the equation, you will expand the team. Expand the competition. Expand the amount of people working on it. Which expands the chances of locating more vulnerabilities, more people working towards obtaining a jailbreak, making cydia work, etc. Ford would never have started making cars, kept making cars (or any other car manufacturer) if they had only relied on building them part time in their spare time and relying on donations.

The simple fact is that many of the folks just dont donate. They don't pay for tweaks/apps and pirate. This creates disincentive, because when a developer works hard on something, they hope to be paid for their work. Appreciation is great, it helps, but it doesn't pay the bills. Which is why we have seen so many attempts to monetize jailbreaks (like the evaders, geohot, the chinese teams, etc.). And there isn't really anything wrong with that. Saurik makes money too. Maybe he isn't rich, but he is making a living. Which I think is great, and is why I never pirate and have purchased hundreds of tweaks and apps and themes and also donate. But I would still love the opportunity to be able to purchase a service (just like any other service) up front. It would simplify the process. At least for those willing to pay.

----------

This is true. Which is why if there were more incentive for more/other talented people to locate exploits and make them useable, it would be a good thing. The more minds working towards this, the more chances for more jailbreaks.

To be honest, I'm amazed at what some of these kids (and lots of them are just kids) are capable of. True genius in this area of their lives and it's interesting watch them do things that most of us aren't capable of.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Apart from the basis of freedom to choose it might also be a pratical and legal consideration.

Modifying patented software on a commercial basis might be illegal.
Jailbreaking in itself is not at the moment.

I think Geohot's run-in with Sony was an example of how things can turn ugly in a hurry, that wasn't even commercial.

My guess is that the dev's therefore opted for a donation system.
That generated substantial cash for a few years.

The evad3rs tried with TAIG which was not the success they hoped for.

The last two JB's were provided by commercial teams but free to the public, the profit is in the app-stores behind it in china with their enormous client-base.

All in all i think there already is a commercial aspect and there has been for some time, aside from that Apple is just good at designing software so it takes a while to get a stable JB.

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
Apart from the basis of freedom to choose it might also be a pratical and legal consideration.

Modifying patented software on a commercial basis might be illegal.
Jailbreaking in itself is not at the moment.

I think Geohot's run-in with Sony was an example of how things can turn ugly in a hurry, that wasn't even commercial.

My guess is that the dev's therefore opted for a donation system.
That generated substantial cash for a few years.

The evad3rs tried with TAIG which was not the success they hoped for.

The last two JB's were provided by commercial teams but free to the public, the profit is in the app-stores behind it in china with their enormous client-base.

All in all i think there already is a commercial aspect and there has been for some time, aside from that Apple is just good at designing software so it takes a while to get a stable JB.

Good points. It's actually incredible that these young people can find ANY vulnerabilities in the software made by the richest company in the world. I see the posts on some of the various members of jailbreak teams twitters and they talk about regular kid stuff like smoking dope, living at their parents, etc. and to see them do these complex tasks is quite interesting. It's why I purchase so many tweaks and apps, even if i have no use for them, i hope to see the devs and jailbreakers continue their work. If I knew 1/1000 of what they know technically, I would be in a good position. Too bad there aren't more of them out there working on this sort of thing. I'm guessing a barrier to work would be having access to all the various devices needed to test on, which are expensive. And when you are a teen, these costs can add up.

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013
i don't mind giving him 10$ for a good jailbreak honestly.

Stephens jailbreaks won't work for the public since he is the only person that uses it, he is able to use exploits that require you to be a developer. Like someone else mentioned here, it's called a failbreak. Most jailbreakers have one within a couple days of releasing.
That guy is a troll and won't release anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.