Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suras

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
Argentina
After upgrading to 8.4 my iphone 6 and ipad mini star to work really slow. Specially de ipad mini, apps like netflix and simcity become un usuable. Anybody else? how can i fix it? (i cant downgrade, because i loose apple music)

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
No difference here. I doubt that a music app is going to slow down your phone.

Okay so when I quit the music app and my phone works fine again, then it's just a coincidence? The music app isn't just an app. It's a system-wide service because it runs in the background. It's possible for it to have some sort of memory leak.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
My phone is just as fast as it was before ... a 5S. I did a clean Restore though.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
iPad mini 2 is still pretty sluggish as it has been since iOS 8.0 and onward. It's not better, it's not worse.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Working as intended. This is bait to upgrade to a new phone every year. Historically has always been like this
The last updates for various previous iOS versions, like iOS 7.1.2 or iOS 6.1.3 (or somewhere around there) have been seen as rather stable and performing fairly well. Not sure where the bait is.

Reactions: Tubamajuba

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Working as intended. This is bait to upgrade to a new phone every year. Historically has always been like this
If you really believe what you're saying, I urge you to stop buying products from Apple. How could you support a company that intentionally cripples functioning devices?

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
California
After upgrading to 8.4 my iphone 6 and ipad mini star to work really slow. Specially de ipad mini, apps like netflix and simcity become un usuable. Anybody else? how can i fix it? (i cant downgrade, because i loose apple music)

I don't feel any slow down on my iP6+ on 8.4 like I did on my 5s from 7.1.2 to ios 8.

You probably need a restore on your devices. List all your apps here.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Okay so when I quit the music app and my phone works fine again, then it's just a coincidence? The music app isn't just an app. It's a system-wide service because it runs in the background. It's possible for it to have some sort of memory leak.

It's definitely tied to the new music app. I saw this during public beta and reported. At first I thought 8.4 release fixed it but it's back and seeing this again. It's the app itself I suspect because I was seeing it bog down the entire phone even without Apple Music and it was just the redesigned app in beta. Completely shutting down the app in the app switcher (double tapping the home button) always solves the issue....well until you use the music app again for 5-10+ minutes and is running in the background

Reactions: jonnyb098

randalf72

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2014
Well my 6 is a touch laggy

When in the messages app it takes three or four seconds for message details to appear on the screen when selected compared to instantaneously on 8.3.

Candy Crush, on 8.3 chain reactions of similar colours were immediate, now you see the colours freeze for maybe half a second before exploding.

I've cleared all suspended apps, done the hard reset and checked the available memory (a shade over 32gb free).

Short of deleting everything off the phone and doing a factory reset i can't see what else I could do.

The phone, while not unusable, is not pleasant to use at the moment.

I'm torn between making a backup and going down the hard reset route and hoping that na update fixes the performance issues.

Boenke1

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2015

I had the same problem, and for me the solutions was:

Backup your device using itunes.
Set your device back to factory settings. It will delete everything! But no worry you habe the backup.
After rebooting the device, set it back up ( but not as a new device )
Restore the device with the itunes backup.

Now it should work a lot faster.

Greetz

P

madara889

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2015
my iPhone 6 is pretty good and smooth with 8.4 ... I think you need to restore your device

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
My 6 is "ok", although there is a tolerable but present lag throughout. Interestingly, a lot of the tips for speeding up old devices also benefit the iPhone 6. In particular, reduce transparency makes a noticeable improvement to the fluidity of ui elements like control centre.

2 years since the ui refresh and they still haven't shipped a phone that can run it without a performance hit. It kind of dulls the argument that Apple devices benefit from them designing both the hardware and the software.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
8.4.1 has caused Safari to crash a lot more than it usually does, and I have been experiencing some horrendous slowdowns since updating.

Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.