Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjo85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Utah
I just upgraded my iPhone 6 Plus to 8.4 beta 1 and my music library won't show up in the music app. The music files are on my phone however. I have deleted the entire library and resynced them all back. Still says no music. Anyone else having this issue after upgrading?

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
I just upgraded my iPhone 6 Plus to 8.4 beta 1 and my music library won't show up in the music app. The music files are on my phone however. I have deleted the entire library and resynced them all back. Still says no music. Anyone else having this issue after upgrading?

Just had this after Beta 2, downgrading to Beta 1 as we speak. Like the new look but not exactly useful with no music to play. 6 Plus.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Exact same issue here on iPhone 6 Plus. Selecting to show all does work, but when I turn it off all music disappears again. Even though iPhone is still showing 1.9GB of downloaded music in Usage settings. Odd glitch which I hope is sorted soon. Gonna try re-syncing music from iTunes.

New Music app is kinda slick though! Looks a lot better and far more functionality now.

Edit: Re-syncing doesn't work. In fact, iTunes is refusing to sync all music. Gets go about 200/500 songs and completes sync. Really hoping Apple releases beta 3/PB2 to fix this soon.

Last edited:

lrsone

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2012
New York, NY
Exact same issue here on iPhone 6 Plus. Selecting to show all does work, but when I turn it off all music disappears again. Even though iPhone is still showing 1.9GB of downloaded music in Usage settings. Odd glitch which I hope is sorted soon. Gonna try re-syncing music from iTunes.

New Music app is kinda slick though! Looks a lot better and far more functionality now.

Same here.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL

Edit: Re-syncing doesn't work. In fact, iTunes is refusing to sync all music. Gets go about 200/500 songs and completes sync. Really hoping Apple releases beta 3/PB2 to fix this soon.

That might not be a glitch, the text when off says songs from iCloud will be shown, and when toggled on says downloaded and iCloud music will be shown~

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Umm no. When switched off, it clearly states that only music downloaded to the device will be shown. So why isn't it showing me the 1.9GB of music downloaded to my iPhone? It just isn't showing anything, smells like a glitch to me.

luke lau

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2015
Belfast
Umm no. When switched off, it clearly states that only music downloaded to the device will be shown. So why isn't it showing me the 1.9GB of music downloaded to my iPhone? It just isn't showing anything, smells like a glitch to me.

Did you buy it off the iTunes Store? iTunes Store music seems to be what they're referring to when they say iCloud music

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Did you buy it off the iTunes Store? iTunes Store music seems to be what they're referring to when they say iCloud music

Yes. All of my music was/is purchased from the iTunes Store. I only have the music I listen to most physically downloaded to my device which, in this case, amounts to 1.9GB of data. With 'Show All Music' switched off, not even these albums are displayed. Nothing is displayed. The 'Show All Music' function is to enable you to see all of your purchased music, be it in iCloud or downloaded.

The fact is, this particular beta release is clearly buggy. But it's a beta, it's practically in its job description. Just hoping Apple know this is happening, but I'm more than certain they do. Just not sure how they'd have not picked up on this before releasing the beta to developers (never mind to public testers too!)

dereksalvo

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
i updated to iOS 8.4 and non of my music is showing up., i went into setting to see if i can select show all but noting is there for me to click., when i type the name of the artist its there but my library isn't ... HEEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!!

dereksalvo

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
okay so go into music where it says artist click on it you can change it to song., and all your music will show up... have no idea why its hidden ..

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Updated to the public release of 8.4 today. All of my music disappeared. Useless. Good thing I have a Spotify subscription.

This new app is really one of Apple's worst yet, especially in terms of design and user experience. It's sprawling and confusing.

Last edited:

rico1

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2015
I updated to iOS 8.4 yesterday on my iphone 6 (Via update in General Settings) and now my music library is missing and so are my playlists. I tried turning off Apple Music through the settings and tried searching, changing list views from Albums to Songs view and still all missing. Rebooted the phone etc... Still all synced music is missing. Only songs visible is what i purchased on iTunes but not any of my synced music. Whats interesting is you go into the usage settings (To see memory allocation) the Music app is missing but i can clearly see that the music is still on the phone because 70 GB is still allocated as used. I tried looking in the Apple forums and only found developers and testers running into the same issues with the beta version. Since this is the official release perhaps it was never addressed or fixed since the concentration was more around the paid subscription Apple Music service.

Any ideas? Hopefully apple will fix this bug.

Is any one else running into this:

Symptoms:
  • Missing synced music (Non itunes purchased)
  • Missing created playlists
  • Missing Music App Usage in Settings - General - Usage - Manage Storage - Music (App is missing)
  • Memory still in use for missing music (Observed in the Used area "Top usage above available" of Storage Memory)

Reactions: DeathShrike

Gammoh

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2015
I updated to iOS 8.4 yesterday on my iphone 6 (Via update in General Settings) and now my music library is missing and so are my playlists. I tried turning off Apple Music through the settings and tried searching, changing list views from Albums to Songs view and still all missing. Rebooted the phone etc... Still all synced music is missing. Only songs visible is what i purchased on iTunes but not any of my synced music. Whats interesting is you go into the usage settings (To see memory allocation) the Music app is missing but i can clearly see that the music is still on the phone because 70 GB is still allocated as used. I tried looking in the Apple forums and only found developers and testers running into the same issues with the beta version. Since this is the official release perhaps it was never addressed or fixed since the concentration was more around the paid subscription Apple Music service.

Symptoms:
  • Missing Music App Usage in Settings - General - Usage - Manage Storage - Music (App is missing)
  • Memory still in use for missing music (Observed in the Used area "Top usage above available" of Storage Memory)

Same exact problem here as well with my iPhone 6 plus 64 GB, after the update everything was working fine, but after using iTunes radio for a while the app froze then crashed and after restarting my iPhone and opening the music app all my music was gone except the ones purchased through iTunes
And in my case most of my music was not purchased through iTunes

jarnox

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2015
Same exact problem here as well with my iPhone 6 plus 64 GB, after the update everything was working fine, but after using iTunes radio for a while the app froze then crashed and after restarting my iPhone and opening the music app all my music was gone except the ones purchased through iTunes
And in my case most of my music was not purchased through iTunes
Same thing happened to me and the only fix I found was to re sync with iTunes. Being 3000 miles away from home and a week away on vacation' I had to create a new account in my son's laptop but it worked.

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009

Symptoms:
My exact issue. Too bad I won't be in front of the PC I use for syncing for another week. Thanks for Spotify and offline saving, I guess!

Boatzinho

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2015
Maybe nothing to do with this issue but the UK apparently has made copied CD's illegal
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...egal-under-new-uk-copyright-law-10443890.html
I have 8.3 on my iPhone 6 and music still works including any cd's but my dads iPad (8.4) only shows iTunes purchases and a bonus U2 album for some reason. The iPad also has the phantom data issue where 53GB is used but only approx 15GB is accounted for on the usage part of settings.
Couldn't see any direct link between the law and the iTunes update when searching the web, but may have something to do with it (not sure how that law would apply if you live outside the UK however hence my lack of certainty that this would be the explanation)
Will wait to see how this develops I guess

tenko

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2015
situation: synced music, the entire library synced from itunes, disappeared in the music app.

what helped for me: 1- i tagged the "show apple music" off in music app's settings, and then 2 - i restarted the phone. music is backies.

note - i only sync the mp3s from my computer using itunes, i don't download anything, and i don't keep anything on the cloud.

ozpharlap

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2015
situation: synced music, the entire library synced from itunes, disappeared in the music app.

what helped for me: 1- i tagged the "show apple music" off in music app's settings, and then 2 - i restarted the phone. music is backies.

note - i only sync the mp3s from my computer using itunes, i don't download anything, and i don't keep anything on the cloud.

ozpharlap

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2015
I think the trick is to just select "sort by Title" - then all music shows (I'm a complete novice of course)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.