Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Not trying to sound like Tim Cook, just stating what has happened for the past 4-5 years of Apple releasing GM seeds.

NP I understand, and I am just throwing out there some other possibility. Never know what Apple may pull. But you are most likely correct as that is how they typically do it. Just never know when they may change things up a little. That's all.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
QQ

If I update to the GM will I be able to still accept updates ota going forward?

Dan70

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
England
I really hope the GM is released tomorrow. I don't see how it'd reveal any new features for the iPhone 6 considering no one has yet, it's not like a brand new feature in the GM would spoil anything in the iPhone 6 release.

Plus, it's been said above. Devs need the GM to test and modify their apps ready for the public release. We've not had a release in about a month since beta 5.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I really hope the GM is released tomorrow. I don't see how it'd reveal any new features for the iPhone 6 considering no one has yet, it's not like a brand new feature in the GM would spoil anything in the iPhone 6 release.

Plus, it's been said above. Devs need the GM to test and modify their apps ready for the public release. We've not had a release in about a month since beta 5.
No reason to think it would come before the announcement.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Ah. Ok. I thought the process was like the betas where I had to update through iTunes.

It is, you'll have to do the GM through iTunes.
But you'll be able to get all future updates OTA because you'll be on the release cycle.

----------

One day will not matter, they will wait for the keynote.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hope all you want, it won't be released until after the keynote, just as it's been for the last several iOS versions. Apple won't spoil the surprise.

Dan70

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
England
Hope all you want, it won't be released until after the keynote, just as it's been for the last several iOS versions. Apple won't spoil the surprise.

I wish they would this once. I just really want off the beta because they're sure to release some nice features along with the six. It's not long now anyway so I can wait. Friday was looooong.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2008
I wish they would this once. I just really want off the beta because they're sure to release some nice features along with the six. It's not long now anyway so I can wait. Friday was looooong.

Features are good and all. But I want the GM, because the battery drain has been a bit unreal on the latest IOS beta. That absolutely must be addressed when the GM goes live, or they will be a lot of complaining and negative press. I can't wait to hear the keynote (go iWatch!) and download the GM tomorrow.

Dan70

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
England
I'm excited for tomorrow, really hope they have a good keynote. I've not been bothered about the new (bigger) iPhones until I saw the news article on the front page about the 5.5 maybe able to support iPad style apps in terms of contacts and calendar. I still won't get it, I have my trusty 5S but that does seem tempting though.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England

iOS 8 will be released after the keynote and not before.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah you will never see a GM before the new iPhone announce. The GM will have features we haven't seen in any of the betas that relate directly to the new iPhone.
And the reason is because the features of the new phones would be obviously spotted in the newest builds if the GM updates were released last week.
Yep, correct.
Just don't mention any of that at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1740199/ ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.