Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cloporte

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
I think it's even worse than this because i have two different
old Routers with no 5GHZ feature and and i'm losing wifi when
connected to any of them , going out and back home .

Last edited:

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Same here. My 3GS can hold a more steady and reliable wifi connection with my router.

I can't even use wireless camera apps on my iPhone 6 anymore as it won't even connect.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
The real question that needs to be asked is this:

Why does Apple have such an issue with Wi-Fi? New hardware & new software is always plagued with Wi-Fi issues. Why can't Apple capture these problems in testing and resolve them before releasing the software?!

Close, but THIS is the real question: Who and why in God's name, when they finally manage to get WiFi working correctly, do they without fail always decide to break it in the subsequent release version?!?!?

Ranks

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2006
Adding yet another example of this issue!

Yep I have had the same issues with WiFi.
I don't want to switch off the 5Ghz because of other devices tat use it, so I can't say if that was the problem, but I do have two identical iPad Air's and both updated, one has no problems, the other has been rendered almost useless with this problem. I thought perhaps it was some sort of conflict with other apps but having done a full restore on the faulty iPad the problem still remains... At a loss to understand this I have reverted this one back to iOS 7. Disappointed! I've never had to do that before, and I've had many many 'I' devices since my first iPod in 2001 (still works quite well!)
I expect a fix pretty soon.

Ranks

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2006
Yep!
You need to download the correct restore file, mine was
iPad4,2_7.1.2_11D257_Restore.ipsw
Connect to iTunes, Alt click the Restore button, choose the downloaded file.
Then restore from backUp or start afresh.

cloporte

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
yes but i read somewhere that some guy could not restore data from a previous iphone after doing so .
??

alezano

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2014
Italy
Random problems with wifi here too. iPad Air .
Wonder if this is why I can't use phone calls with my iPad, because it says "iPad and iPhone have to be on the same wifi network", and guess, they are. :rolleyes:

ozshadow

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
New iPhone 6 is doing this too. I had both the 2 and 5 ghz bands setup with the passwords. I just had it forget the 5 ghz one to see if it helps. Others report it does.

The new iPhone 6 is the only device I have on ios 8 and the only one with problems like this. It was set up as a brand new phone.

cloporte

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2014
Thank you so much, i'm glad you set it as new iphone but had also the problem

this is what applecare told me to do and i replied i didn't want to do it .

Kind regards .

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
iOS 8's wifi polling is completely broken. Totally and utterly.

Access Points that iOS7 finds fine on other devices aren't found at all, even after another full restore and resetting network settings. Joining and discovering networks is much slower than iOS7 too.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
On my wife's 5s

My iPad 3 and iPhone 6

Wifi will be fine then all of a sudden I'm getting dialup speeds. Restarting wifi doesn't fix it. I have to restart the devices to get wifi working again, till the next time.

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
I really hope people are letting Apple know. www.apple.com/feedback

I really think it is iOS 8 cause it's happening on all my devices, old and new.

peter893

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
Same issue here. iPhone 6 setup as new phone, Drops off wifi. Can't find any wifi connections until restart or reset network settings.
Happened last night,this morning, and just happened again upon wake. Shut down.
Reset AirPort Extreme (4th Gen) phone connected automatically after reboot. Will see if it changes things.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Does anyone with a working version of 8.0.1 know if this was fixed?

Driving me nutty on my iPad Air.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Updated iPhone 6 Plus to 8.0.2 and used WiFi Sweetspots the App to check things out afterwards. Wi-Fi router is AirPort Extreme with ac band. Besides the iP6+ also have iPad Air WiFi only. Have the AirPort Extreme running both 5ghz and 2.4ghz on discreet channels to avoid neighbor's router interference.

The iPad Air 7.1.2 getting 160 mbps. I believe the Air only has n.
The iP6+ 8.0.2 getting 279 mbps. Understand it has ac band.

image.jpg

JasonH42

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2010
Same issue here. iPhone 6 setup as new phone, Drops off wifi. Can't find any wifi connections until restart or reset network settings.
Happened last night,this morning, and just happened again upon wake. Shut down.
Reset AirPort Extreme (4th Gen) phone connected automatically after reboot. Will see if it changes things.

Upgraded my iPhone 6 to 8.0.2 and it dropped the wifi this evening, then wouldn't find the wifi network until rebooted.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I should've stayed with the original ios 8, the wifi drop issues are depressing on my iPad air... No more Apple products for me

yrh0413

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2010
Have issues with wifi on iOS 8.0.2 on iPad Mini Retina LTE

At home: Asus RT-N66U configured 2 SSIDs for 2.4 and 5.0GHz.
At work: Multiple Ruckus Zoneflex 7982 with ZoneDirector.

On 5.0GHz band my iPad Mini Retina shows connected but occasionally there is no data transfer on my iPad. Opening Safari tab just show loading and when that happens for a while suddenly my iPad lose wifi connection and jumps back to 4G.

No issues on my iPhone 5 though. :confused:

arock

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
6 plus here. Have seen the wifi drop 3 times. I'm on 8.0.2. Two times I rebooted to fix. Once I Iet it ride and eventually it picked up a wifi ap again. Not sure how long but a couple hours for sure.

Jposhhh

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2017
I also saw the same issue when I updated my iPad mini retina to iOS 8 GM last week. Was connected to my 5ghz band but no traffic was going through. Switching back to 2.4 ghz worked fine. I'm using a Netgear Nighthawk.

Just got the iPhone 6 and the same thing is happening. My iPad was working fine with iOS 7. Definitely seems to be an OS issue with 5ghz band.
[doublepost=1505124113][/doublepost]Hey!

Please could you help with a step by step process of how I can switch from 5ghz band? My iPhone 6 is driving me nuts with its WiFi connectivity issues and I just really need to do anything that can make it better.

Really appreciate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.