Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Valkyre

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 8, 2012
Hey guys, something weird is happening with my phone...

without downloading or changing anything in my phone I seem to have lost 500 MB of storage space overnight.

The phone was not plugged in the entire time and just now I noticed that I lost a good chunk of space.

What gives?

invisiblegt

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2013
Does anyone have any ideas? I'm in the same boat... Without downloading a thing, my storage space has dropped from 6.9 gigs in September 30th to 4.7 today. I've deleted a few apps, but havent really added any apps.

wongster

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2014
some apps might be storing cache items. look in the settings, general, usage, manage storage and see what is taking up the most memory. you can click on the app and it will say what setting is taking the memory from your phone. i had this issue because i use spotify a lot and that stores the cache. used ifunbox to clear and got it back.

iksyaj

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
some apps might be storing cache items. look in the settings, general, usage, manage storage and see what is taking up the most memory. you can click on the app and it will say what setting is taking the memory from your phone. i had this issue because i use spotify a lot and that stores the cache. used ifunbox to clear and got it back.

What did you do to remove those cached data? Or we just need to delete app and install again? :(

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I lost about 300MB overnight a couple days ago and it wasn't because of app caches. I have an app that removes all caches. This 300MB just vanished overnight.

invisiblegt

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2013

Unless it's caching gigs of data, I don't see this being the issue. I took a screenshot of the storage setting app pages when I had 6.9 free, and compared it to my current page. Most apps are the same, and a few have increased modestly (100 mb or so). Nowhere near enough to amount to the 2.2 gigs I've lost in the last week or so.

I did have this problem a week or so after installing iOS 8, on both my iPhone and iPad. The iPad was so bad that I was down to under 100 mbs left without really doing anything, so I fully reset both, and then restored from iCloud backups. After that, I was back up to where it should have been. Unfortunately, I've been slowly leaking space on both ever since.

Saif23

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
Use The App Battery Doctor From The App Store To Clean Your Cache Up. It Helps & Free's Your Storage :)

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
Guys iOS 8 is generating tons of diagnostic usages and it is consuming a lot of space. there is no way you can get rid of them without syncing them to your computer. The other day i removed around 800 MBs worth of junk of logs.

Give it a shot and let me know if it helps.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Use The App Battery Doctor From The App Store To Clean Your Cache Up. It Helps & Free's Your Storage :)

The problem isn't caches. Caches don't magically eat up 500+MB with the phone just sitting and all applications closed. I clean out my caches every couple days or so and have been doing it more often now to see if that is at all part of the problem, but it isn't. In the last 3 hours I've watched my phone go from 28.1GB free to 27.9GB free and haven't even touched it. Its all being transferred as "other" on iTunes but its just invisible used space.

Guys iOS 8 is generating tons of diagnostic usages and it is consuming a lot of space. there is no way you can get rid of them without syncing them to your computer. The other day i removed around 800 MBs worth of junk of logs.

Give it a shot and let me know if it helps.

Even syncing and dumping all my log files I only get back a few dozen MB.

itzmepete

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2015
Just was curious to see if anyone found a fix for this problem? I was hoping someone did before I try restoring my phone this weekend, thanks in advance...

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Just was curious to see if anyone found a fix for this problem? I was hoping someone did before I try restoring my phone this weekend, thanks in advance...

Issue is still present for me. Randomly one day I will get 500MB back and the next it will be gone. Not cache related. I think the issue stems from the fact that we still don't have a way to go through "other" data on the phone. So we cannot see where the space is going.

The "other" on my iPhone 6 goes between 1.25GB-2.5GB on a regular basis. It is never the same two days in a row.

AddisonIII

macrumors regular
May 8, 2013
I wish someone could come up with a cure for this problem since I have been having this same kind of thing happening since I first installed 8.0 on my iPad4. This at one point got so bad that 2-3 times a week I would get a call from tech support having me send him data which in turn he would give to engineering. Needless to say the calls came to an end and the tech relayed that engineering stopped responding.
One other very strange event has happened in the last day or so. While on 8.1.3 after having a full charge I was curious how much use I had with 74% remaining. when I clicked on battery used which said I had used well over 12hrs with 98% being used on Safari. Needles to say there is no way I could have used it that long and still showing 74% battery remaining.
Sorry guys to have changed the subject in the middle of this topic, but can't help but wonder if there is some correlation.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011

some apps do screw up when you try to clean their cache (sound hound for example breaks.. or used to) Notability will attempt to rebackup everything to the cloud, etc etc. Better to use phone clean and exclude these troublesome apps from the cache cleaning process

judypupek

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2017
Hey guys, something weird is happening with my phone...

without downloading or changing anything in my phone I seem to have lost 500 MB of storage space overnight.

The phone was not plugged in the entire time and just now I noticed that I lost a good chunk of space.

What gives?
[doublepost=1496931105][/doublepost]I lost 8 gigabytes overnight! Help!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.