Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmscardoso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2014
Hello.
I have installed iOS 8 Beta 1 and then upgraded to iOS Beta2.
Now, i have downgraded to iOS 7.1.1 (jailbreak available helped deciding it eheh).
Now, i tried to restore my sms.db to iOS 7.1.1, but i can't make it work. Tried replacint it to /var/mobile/Library/SMS, but after accessing Messages/BiteSMS, a new sms.db, sms.db-shm and sms.db-wal are created, and all the other files are renamed with db.incompatible.v8007.sqlitedb after the name.

Any one can help me recovering my SMSs? About 4 years of sms are gone :/

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 335
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 213
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 241

BlackWid0w

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2014
I have the same problem. I used ibackupbot software to export my information on my laptop, it does work with restoring everything except for the sms file from the iOS 8 backup. It just deletes it, then replaces it with the same, 4kb sms.db after I put it to sync.

Thank you in advance!

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Hello.
I have installed iOS 8 Beta 1 and then upgraded to iOS Beta2.
Now, i have downgraded to iOS 7.1.1 (jailbreak available helped deciding it eheh).
Now, i tried to restore my sms.db to iOS 7.1.1, but i can't make it work. Tried replacint it to /var/mobile/Library/SMS, but after accessing Messages/BiteSMS, a new sms.db, sms.db-shm and sms.db-wal are created, and all the other files are renamed with db.incompatible.v8007.sqlitedb after the name.

Any one can help me recovering my SMSs? About 4 years of sms are gone :/

Thanks for the help

I have the same problem. I used ibackupbot software to export my information on my laptop, it does work with restoring everything except for the sms file from the iOS 8 backup. It just deletes it, then replaces it with the same, 4kb sms.db after I put it to sync.

Thank you in advance!

the only file you should need is the sms.db

however, the database structure generally changes from iOS version to another. You would have a chance for it to stay the same if it was say a .x update (for example 7.0 to 7.0.1) but even then, it can sometimes change

it will definitely change from big iOS version jumps

so when you're bringing the iOS 8.0 beta sms database file into iOS 7.1.1, the OS detects it as corrupt and generates a brand new sms.db (or else the messages app will be broken)

BlackWid0w

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2014
Thank you for the response; however, is there anyway to fix it?

I thought about something, hope it makes any sense:
I currently have ios 8 on my phone, I am going to make a backup then use it to export my sms.db file with ibackupbot; I then install a fresh version of iOS 7.1.1. I use for the time ios 8 is in beta, then when it comes out(or a better beta), I backup my information on icloud then I update to 8 and do the restore from icloud.
After all this, is there any way I can import my old sms history, thus adding it up over the current one, without losing it? I mean not overwrite it, but complete it.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Thank you for the response; however, is there anyway to fix it?

I thought about something, hope it makes any sense:
I currently have ios 8 on my phone, I am going to make a backup then use it to export my sms.db file with ibackupbot; I then install a fresh version of iOS 7.1.1. I use for the time ios 8 is in beta, then when it comes out(or a better beta), I backup my information on icloud then I update to 8 and do the restore from icloud.
After all this, is there any way I can import my old sms history, thus adding it up over the current one, without losing it? I mean not overwrite it, but complete it.

not that I know of. I'm sure you can mess around with it if you have an understanding with database structuring

you cannot bring iOS 8 sms.db onto iOS 7.1.1

do you have a backup from iOS 7? If so, you might be able to extract that and use that

BlackWid0w

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2014
No, i made the stupid decision and overwrite it with my 8 beta 2 one... Thought it was more stable and didn't have so many stupid crashes and bugs...

Well, I'll wait for one/two more week/s until beta 3 comes out, then we'll see what happens.

Have a great day mate!

GzyOnline

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2011
hey folks.. hate to sway off topic a little but hoping the great members here can give me some advice.. i was jb on 7.1.2, jumped down to 7.1.1, now i'm back on 7.1.2...

¤my 1st 7.1.2 backup has sms.db files along with sms.db-shm and sms.db-wal
¤when I switched to 7.1.1, I used iBackupbot and restored all my SMS.. worked great/no issues!
¤now I'm going to 7.1.2 again, when I access my 7.1.1 backup in iBackupbot to restore all my SMS, this time i only have sms.db .. i'm missing sms.db-shm and sms.db-wal...??
¤iBackupbot will restore the sms.db file, but my messages are completely blank.. so just restore sms.db isn't restoring my messages

in all instances I've had biteSMS installed.. except for this last time.. i'm trying to restore sms.db before i jailbreak the device and on stock messages app..

any idea why i'm missing sms.db-shm and sms.db-wal? and why restore sms.db only isn't restoring my messages?

Thanks!!

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
hey folks.. hate to sway off topic a little but hoping the great members here can give me some advice.. i was jb on 7.1.2, jumped down to 7.1.1, now i'm back on 7.1.2...

¤my 1st 7.1.2 backup has sms.db files along with sms.db-shm and sms.db-wal
¤when I switched to 7.1.1, I used iBackupbot and restored all my SMS.. worked great/no issues!
¤now I'm going to 7.1.2 again, when I access my 7.1.1 backup in iBackupbot to restore all my SMS, this time i only have sms.db .. i'm missing sms.db-shm and sms.db-wal...??
¤iBackupbot will restore the sms.db file, but my messages are completely blank.. so just restore sms.db isn't restoring my messages

in all instances I've had biteSMS installed.. except for this last time.. i'm trying to restore sms.db before i jailbreak the device and on stock messages app..

any idea why i'm missing sms.db-shm and sms.db-wal? and why restore sms.db only isn't restoring my messages?

Thanks!!

sms.db alone should restore it. if you check using ifile, is your sms.db's owner permissions root or mobile?

it needs to be mobile

GzyOnline

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2011
so i was trying to install biteSMS but after install/respring, my phone would go into Safe Mode.. I searched online, determined I needed to delete everything in the Library/SMS location, respring, then install biteSMS -this worked! Once biteSMS was installed, i restored the sms.db (only) file, and FINALLY my messages got restored.. I find it a little odd that they would not restore to my stock Messages.app ..maybe because I started using messages with biteSMS from the very beginning...? :rolleyes: anyhow~

EvanTalos

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
The steps:

1. Export the sms.db from the ios8 backup by using the iBackupBot
In ibackupbot sms.db location = System Files/HomeDomain/SMS sms media (mms) = System Files/MediaDomain/Library/SMS

2. install the SQLite Expert Personal for Windows (or other SQL editor for OSX)

3. Edit the sms.db from the backup with an sqllite editor.
It is database version line that needs to be changed.
iOS 8 uses 8007 and iOS7 uses 7006.

Then import the changed sms.db file in the iOS7 backup on ibackupbot and restore the updated ios7 backup.

nad8e

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Colorado
Fix corrupt sms.db on iOS8

Sorry to bring an old post back, but don't want to start a new topic.

I have an iPhone 5 that has had a corrupt message db for 1.5 yr. If I delete messages, it often crashes iMessage or at the very least make it very slow if I go into any threads, sometimes only showing the last message. When I restart the phone, the message I have deleted are magically there again. My phone is loaded with messages from 2011 and 2012 and I basically want everything pre-2014 gone.

Can I use the below steps on a NOT jailbroken iPhone 5 with iOS8 to manually delete a majority of the messages?

Would this be the steps? Can someone fix or add to anything? Am I missing any important steps or tricks?

1a. Backup to iMac w/ iTunes
1b. Export sms.db from the iOS8 backup by using the iBackupBot
2a. Install [some?] SQL editor - recommendations?
3a. Edit the sms.db and save
4a. Import changed sms.db back into the iOS8 backup using iBackupBot
4b. Restore the iPhone

The steps:

1. Export the sms.db from the ios8 backup by using the iBackupBot
In ibackupbot sms.db location = System Files/HomeDomain/SMS sms media (mms) = System Files/MediaDomain/Library/SMS

2. install the SQLite Expert Personal for Windows (or other SQL editor for OSX)

3. Edit the sms.db from the backup with an sqllite editor.
It is database version line that needs to be changed.
iOS 8 uses 8007 and iOS7 uses 7006.

Then import the changed sms.db file in the iOS7 backup on ibackupbot and restore the updated ios7 backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.