Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsbacon

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2015
Apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere - I tried searching but couldn't find a relevant discussion.

So last night I was playing a video on the YouTube app, paused it to check email and browse the web and then went to bed. The phone had ~65% battery at the time, but I woke up this morning to see it dropped down to 41%.

Here are the battery consumption screenshots:

i5uosi.png

119c87o.png

2lx6u8g.png

There is no way in hell my 6S had 11 hours & 46 minutes of on-screen time. My TSMC chip is good, but not that good! Anyone else noticing this on their phones? Is the workaround to manually kill the app until YouTube gets their act together? I was really looking forward to Red... :(

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what the problem is here. You are not having a problem with your battery looking at those screenshots. Therefore, what difference does it make if YouTube runs in the background?

rsbacon

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2015
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what the problem is here. You are not having a problem with your battery looking at those screenshots. Therefore, what difference does it make if YouTube runs in the background?

The problems are a) the battery drained a lot more than it usually does overnight (~15%) and b) On-screen time is now wildly inaccurate (11hr 46min Usage). iOS seems to think that a video was played for like 8 hours overnight, except it wasn't. The stock YouTube app does not support background playback, so how did it consume so much battery overnight?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just to clarify, the usage time is not on-screen time, just the time the device was doing something (even if the screen is off). If you tap on any app on that screen you will see an breakdown between actual on-screen time and background time (if any) for each app.

Last edited:

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
It could be similar to the facebook bug where nothing is playing but it's keeping the device from going to deep sleep. The battery usage is "minimal" compared to if something was actually playing, but annoying nonetheless. I suggest you restart your phone, make sure the YT app is up to date, and continue to monitor it.

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
The same happened to me this morning. I fell asleep watching a Youtube video and woke up with about 20% battery lost overnight. At first I thought this was because I was jailbroken and allowed for backgrounded Youtube videos, but if this also happens for those without a jailbreak, there might be something else at play here.

Reactions: Mcleaver

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere - I tried searching but couldn't find a relevant discussion.

So last night I was playing a video on the YouTube app, paused it to check email and browse the web and then went to bed. The phone had ~65% battery at the time, but I woke up this morning to see it dropped down to 41%.

Here are the battery consumption screenshots:

i5uosi.png

119c87o.png

2lx6u8g.png

There is no way in hell my 6S had 11 hours & 46 minutes of on-screen time. My TSMC chip is good, but not that good! Anyone else noticing this on their phones? Is the workaround to manually kill the app until YouTube gets their act together? I was really looking forward to Red... :(
Maybe I'm being too simple-minded here, but do you have YouTube toggled "off" in background app refresh?

Also, (again, not being purposefully simple here), have you killed the app from the app switcher (double clicking the home button and then swiping up to kill it)? I don't do this for all apps, but only for apps I suspect of misbehaving or apps that I don't use very often.

rsbacon

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2015
Just to calcify, the usage time is not on-screen time, just the time the device was doing something (even if the screen is off). If you tap on any app on that screen you will see an breakdown between actual on-screen time and background time (if any) for each app.

Guessing you meant to say "clarify" ;) but yes you're right about usage time and I shouldn't use it interchangeably with on-screen time. The YouTube app on-screen time was 7 minutes and background activity was 8.2 hours

The same happened to me this morning. I fell asleep watching a Youtube video and woke up with about 20% battery lost overnight. At first I thought this was because I was jailbroken and allowed for backgrounded Youtube videos, but if this also happens for those without a jailbreak, there might be something else at play here.

Mine is bone stock 9.1. Definitely something at play, and I'm surprised people haven't noticed the significant battery drain yet.

Maybe I'm being too simple-minded here, but do you have YouTube toggled "off" in background app refresh?

Also, (again, not being purposefully simple here), have you killed the app from the app switcher (double clicking the home button and then swiping up to kill it)? I don't do this for all apps, but only for apps I suspect of misbehaving or apps that I don't use very often.

Yes, YouTube is toggled OFF for background refresh, as are most of my other apps. I'd like to think that I'm a semi-advanced user of iOS, and have app refresh and location services settings optimized for battery life. I also, to your second point, typically kill apps that I suspect could misbehave with background activity (Google Maps, Fb etc.) but I've never had issues with music and video apps like YouTube in the past

Reactions: willmtaylor

Orlaam

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2013
Weird. I do not have this issue. iPhone 6s Plus. Background activity off and always using YouTube, but no background activity or battery drain.

Eau Rouge

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
If you haven't already, try closing the video (swiping away the minimized thumbnail) before leaving the app. I read about someone having the same issue and they concluded there's a bug in the current Youtube app that's causing this. I always do it out of habit so it doesn't affect me but it may be helpful in your troubleshooting.

KiraYamato

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
I have had this happen to me two days ago. I was watching a video and backed out using the home button. Several hours later when I wanted to open the phone, the unlock screen showed that youtube was 'running', with this customizations bar showing (where you can adjust volume, fast forward/backwards/check runtime). No data was used though, as I checked with my bundel.

Solution, just double tap home button and close the youtube app fully.

thed0g

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2015
There were some users writing that if you don't swipe away the video inside the app when going out of it, the app is still active when in background. So try that next time.

Youtube app = garbage since the Material redesign. It displays 3 (three!) videos in the list at the time when scrolling on iPad Pro big ass screen. Google must have decided that if they aren't capable to ship tablet Android apps, iPad won't have any either.

esfrost

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
People still use the YouTube app? Why? Why put up with all of the ads? There are several YouTube clients that's strip the ads out.

Could you please recommend me some of those several other youtube apps? I'd seriously consider switching.

thed0g

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2015
Does ProTube has History as in official app and on website ? Not local history .. Perhaps there's no API for history, since I didn't see a free app with it so far.

ZomBee

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2014
I'm actually having this issue with the App Store. My battery suddenly started draining very quickly. Checked and the App Store has used 77% of my battery in the last 24 hours. It's also used 67% in the last 7 days. It says 13 mins on screen and 88.9 hours in the background.

rsbacon

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2015
its doubly ****** that they clearly had a background processing bug, and they don't even provide anything useful in the background.

Yeah the darn app wouldn't allow background playback, but was very happy to consume battery just being idle memory

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Well, well, well look what we have here in the update notes:

n2mm9x.png

its doubly ****** that they clearly had a background processing bug, and they don't even provide anything useful in the background.

Yeah the darn app wouldn't allow background playback, but was very happy to consume battery just being idle memory

That's for YouTube Red subscribers, which supports background play. I wouldn't say an enhancment in performance indicates a "bug" necessarily.

Reactions: Yun0
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.