Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lostguybrazil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
Hi,

I've installed iOS 9.2 yesterday, and today, the moment I've opened the App Store app on my iPhone 5 Apple advertised this:
image-png.604867

My girlfriend had the same on her iPhone 5s.

Didn't like it. Found it intrusive. Apple should rethink immediately this advertising.

Anyone had this too?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    183.9 KB · Views: 1,314

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I don't think that's the app store. It looks like he went to the Apple site instead. The Apple site in the US looks the same except it's in English.

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
It's the App Store, I got it this morning as well and was quite surprised (and a bit annoyed that Apple would do something like that - feels just a bit slimy to me). I opened the App Store to update an app, went to the Updates tab and then that full screen modal window slid up from the bottom of the screen, completely covering the App Store interface. I took a screenshot as well:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    173.9 KB · Views: 309

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It gives options for: Learn More and Upgrade.
Apple had to advertise 6s on the appstore, is it not selling well?
Seems like it also gives an option to skip as well given the English screenshot that was posted. I don't know why they advertised there, but doesn't seem like it needs to be related to how well it's selling.

Ternary

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2015
The same pop up appeared on my iPhone 5 running iOS 8.4.1, so this isn't version based. Hopefully this was just a one time thing.

Attachments

• iPhone6sAd.PNG
    iPhone6sAd.PNG
    173.3 KB · Views: 211

pituin

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2015
I got the ad too just now. iPhone 5c iOS 9.0.2. This is getting ridiculous. Submitted feedback, but I know they'll print it and wipe their ass with it. Apple just doesn't give a **** anymore. It's sad.

Reactions: DoctorKrabs

chatbr

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2015
Updated my girlfriend phone for 9.2 ( iPhone 5C ) and first thing she got when opening the Music App was a huge, full screen advertising for Apple Music. No dismiss button.
Only way to close it was closing thru multitask and reopening the App.
She doesnt have Apple Music sub so idk if people that have those will not get the ads.
I myself use an iPhone 6 but still holding on 9.1 after seeing those abusive ads.

pituin

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2015
And actually, they will nag you when App Store cache clears. Just try by tapping ten times on the "Updates" icon...

Unacceptable.

Reactions: DoctorKrabs

liteshow

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
I got the exact same thing too! Quite surprise - or maybe I should not be. Did not find it intrusive - just annoying as it is the least expected place to find an advertisment,

Hi,

I've installed iOS 9.2 yesterday, and today, the moment I've opened the App Store app on my iPhone 5 Apple advertised this:
image-png.604867

My girlfriend had the same on her iPhone 5s.

Didn't like it. Found it intrusive. Apple should rethink immediately this advertising.

Anyone had this too?

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
What C DM said. Saw an article on one of the tech websites this morning, and they reported anything older than a 6 will get the ad in the App Store.

Annoying, but not much different than any other Apple "store". Go to Apple website, latest gizmo is advertised on the main page. Bring up Mac App Store, takes you straight to the "here's the latest and most popular stuff" page, when I only want to go to the "update" tab. Ditto iTunes sub tabs.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Is there data showing this?
It barely beats the iPhone 6 sales AFTER taking China into account.Otherwise it's much lower.They went to China because sales were flat everywhere else.Advertising on the App Store reeks of desperation to me

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.