Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
Hello guys,
I decided to let you know about a problem I'm facing since the release of the 9.3.5 update.
Almost immediately after updating my iPhone 6, I saw that there is an insane battery drain. What really shocked me, however, was when the phone died with about 40% battery left. This had happened 2 or 3 times, so yesterday I decided to restore my phone via iTunes. Unfortunately, the same thing happened today and my phone died with 37% battery. When I tried to power it on again, it says that the battery is low and it's needed to be charged. When I do so, the device turns on with the same battery percentage as it when when it turned off. So it clearly should be an software issue, not something related to the hardware.
Now I'm restoring the phone to iOS 10 Beta 8, as I don't see any sense in downgrading to 9.3.4.
I've been an iOS devices owner for several years now and this is the first time I'm experiencing such an issue. It was totally unexpected for me, keeping in mind that this is a minor update.

Does somebody face the same or similar behaviour with this update?

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This seems to be a common problem with the iPhone 6 (and not just with iOS 9.3.5). I know plenty of people who complain that their iPhone 6 shuts down when there is around 40% left. Unfortunately I don't think it's a software issue that can be fixed with an update...

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
This seems to be a common problem with the iPhone 6 (and not just with iOS 9.3.5). I know plenty of people who complain that their iPhone 6 shuts down when there is around 40% left. Unfortunately I don't think it's a software issue that can be fixed with an update...
It has never happened before, so...

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Search Google for "iPhone 6 dies at 40". Lots of discussion about it and a few things you can try such as re-calibrating your battery.
[doublepost=1472696217][/doublepost]Doing a clean install may help as well.

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
It seems that the battery has to be changed. I don't know how it can fail for a year and a half...

kmac007

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2016
I recently updated to 9.3.5 on both my iPhone 7a and iPad mini 4 and have been experiencing massive battery drain.

I don't use many apps, keep app refresh to less than a hand full of programs and follow other battery saving procedures. Right now an hour of web browsing drains 34 with 50 percent screen brightness drains.

Is anyone else experiencing this because both my iPad and phone are not a few mo the old so I. Know it can't be the battery itself.

Unfortunately I think we're stuck with this battery issue until iOS 10 launches but if anyone knows how to fix it or is experiencing similar problems, feel free to post.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It seems that the battery has to be changed. I don't know how it can fail for a year and a half...
That's terrible, but without some extended warranty not too much you can do...
[doublepost=1472841480][/doublepost]
I recently updated to 9.3.5 on both my iPhone 7a and iPad mini 4 and have been experiencing massive battery drain.

I don't use many apps, keep app refresh to less than a hand full of programs and follow other battery saving procedures. Right now an hour of web browsing drains 34 with 50 percent screen brightness drains.

Is anyone else experiencing this because both my iPad and phone are not a few mo the old so I. Know it can't be the battery itself.

Unfortunately I think we're stuck with this battery issue until iOS 10 launches but if anyone knows how to fix it or is experiencing similar problems, feel free to post.
What is an iPhone 7a? Typo? I wasn't having any weird battery drain issues with my iPhone 6s on 9.3.5 but I was experiencing some weird lag and sluggishness that I had never experienced before. I ended up updating to latest beta of iOS 10 and my experience has been fantastic (both in terms of speed and battery life) so I think iOS 10 is going to be great and if you aren't willing to try out beta software the public release (based on how Apple has rolled out new versions of iOS in the past) should be Sept. 7 right after the Keynote so you don't have long to wait. My iPad mini 4 seems to be fine with iOS 9.3.5 and I haven't really noticed a difference from any other version of iOS 9.3.

kmac007

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2016
I've had my i
I had a similar issue and it turned out my battery was dying, I replaced it and it's been good ever since.
Ive had my iPhone 6s and iPad mini 4 for less than 4 months so I know it can't be the battery.

Both started getting battery drain after installing iOS 9.35
[doublepost=1472868394][/doublepost]I
That's terrible, but without some extended warranty not too much you can do...
[doublepost=1472841480][/doublepost]
What is an iPhone 7a? Typo? I wasn't having any weird battery drain issues with my iPhone 6s on 9.3.5 but I was experiencing some weird lag and sluggishness that I had never experienced before. I ended up updating to latest beta of iOS 10 and my experience has been fantastic (both in terms of speed and battery life) so I think iOS 10 is going to be great and if you aren't willing to try out beta software the public release (based on how Apple has rolled out new versions of iOS in the past) should be Sept. 7 right after the Keynote so you don't have long to wait. My iPad mini 4 seems to be fine with iOS 9.3.5 and I haven't really noticed a difference from any other version of iOS 9.3.

I have early access to the iPhone 7a lol meant 6s.

I might give iOS 10 a try. From what I understand the official release date for it is September 14.

I'm fearful of any glitches or apps and programs not working. How has your experience been so far ?

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've had my i

Ive had my iPhone 6s and iPad mini 4 for less than 4 months so I know it can't be the battery.

Both started getting battery drain after installing iOS 9.35
[doublepost=1472868394][/doublepost]I

I have early access to the iPhone 7a lol meant 6s.

I might give iOS 10 a try. From what I understand the official release date for it is September 14.

I'm fearful of any glitches or apps and programs not working. How has your experience been so far ?
I haven't experienced any issues at all with the latest beta and it makes my 6s (which has never felt slow) feel extra fast. Seems to be working great with all the apps I use.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
I haven't experienced any issues at all with the latest beta and it makes my 6s (which has never felt slow) feel extra fast. Seems to be working great with all the apps I use.

Same issue here with iPad Pro 9.7 - massive battery drain just since the 9.3.5 update. This is just beyond unacceptable for a brand new device. In less than an hour of net browsing and email, no gaming, no music, no videos, bluetooth off - lost 40%!!!

house1999

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2006
Try turning off iCloud Keychain. I had a problem with high usage and battery drain with both an iPhone 6s Plus and iPad Air. After hours or troubleshooting and searching online and using Xcode instruments to confirm, keychain seems to be the culprit.

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
Hello all,

Today I went to an Apple Premium Service and I told them I want to have my battery replaced. What they told me was that they were gonna make a diagnostic because there are doubts about battery swelling. If this is the case, they'll replace the phone with a new one even though it's out of warranty. I already can't wait to get it, because I don't have an alternative phone to use. Fingers crossed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.