Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
So after the update, with the redesign of the health app in iOS 9.3 there appears to be a bug in Steps data.

As some of you may know, we can view our steps in hour/day/week/month/year cycle, but the things get interesting when you try to see yearly cycle, which should have been for me somewhere around 200k steps, yet it barely shows them as ~5k for this month.
It goes more berserk for the past month, which incidentally before the update always showed the correctly complied data before the update, but now it's showing less than 5k. =S

Does anyone have the same problem? Just the Yearly compilation is dead wrong, and the only other way to count is either by yourself adding from daily data in calculator or in some apps which offer their own chart.

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
Not sure if I understand well your issue, but when you select the yearly view, the bars in the graph show you the daily average (mean) number of steps performed for a given month, not the total of steps performed during each month.

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Not sure if I understand well your issue, but when you select the yearly view, the bars in the graph show you the daily average (mean) number of steps performed for a given month, not the total of steps performed during each month.
Jesus, I guess you're right!
Although I swear it used to show the total number of steps per month before the update, but thanks it was driving me insane.

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
I am not a big user of this app (even if I do a lot of sport), but I think that in the past we have the choice between showing the total or the mean. Not 100% sure however.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I am not a big user of this app (even if I do a lot of sport), but I think that in the past we have the choice between showing the total or the mean. Not 100% sure however.
I remember there is no option to choose showing mean value or total value before this update.

What I feel uncomfortable of this update is Apple uses bar rather than dot to show value, and use a series of bars to show trend/history data rather than curve line. I think curve line is easier to look than bar series.

tirk

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Wimbledon, UK
Both the daily average (as a figure) and the monthly total (via the graph) were available prior to the update. Now only the daily average is available, unless you extract the data and use Excel or similar. Not a step forward IMO.

What's more, the update broke syncing with external apps like Patient Access (which I use to pass data to my doctor).

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
i reported the same thing, basically all i was given was some crap about how its an "average" etc..bs but whatever never using yearly view then. "average" just yearly view out of nowhere but dont follow it for the day~monthly views..ya not a bug (or just someone bored at apple & it somehow passed QA).

hell people still think ios does "indexing for days thats why ur batteryis bad on ios version x.x"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.