Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nadir98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
To people with this device, how does overall performance, speed and stability of B3 compare to 8.4? How do games and default apps perform and such?

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
One word to conclude: horrible. If this is too serious, I can use another word; bad.

But, performance is better than beta 1.

Al in all, I don't recommend you to try it out unless you can erase all contents and restore. iOS 8 is currently better than iOS 9 beta 3. Plus, battery life seems going horrible in iOS 9 beta 3, again.

Reactions: ZebraDude

Nadir98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
gwang73 8.4 seems alright to me and most thing are still fast enough for a three year old device, did you do a restore through iTunes?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I'd like to know if those who are conpliaming about speed have done a fresh install or not? iOS 9 is apparently a LOt faster on A5 devices that have been erased and set up as new.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I'd like to know if those who are conpliaming about speed have done a fresh install or not? iOS 9 is apparently a LOt faster on A5 devices that have been erased and set up as new.
I can say I am not.

I have too many data on iPad so I don't want to simply format and do a clean install, plus I don't have dev account.

Maybe, when iOS 9 is officially available, I would do a clean install.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
gwang73 8.4 seems alright to me and most thing are still fast enough for a three year old device, did you do a restore through iTunes?
I haven't restored back to 8.4 yet. I can't remember if I saved a 8.4 versioned backup or not. I always do for my iPhone but probably didn't on the iPad.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
Interesting. Well, I did not erase and set as new. I updated via the Option/Update method where it does not erase my data.

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
Interesting. Well, I did not erase and set as new. I updated via the Option/Update method where it does not erase my data.

I can say I am not.

I have too many data on iPad so I don't want to simply format and do a clean install, plus I don't have dev account.

Maybe, when iOS 9 is officially available, I would do a clean install.

So you want to needlessly turn your device to dust and you don't seem to understand that a Beta is for testing and NOT for daily use yet.

It's crystal clear that it isn't ready yet to fully support iOS 8 apps, that's why developers need to/usually update them a few days before the public release. Some data and services will be struggling to run where they can't even run.
The only way to compare for sure is doing a fresh install, NO RESTORED BACKUPS.

You were the first ones to reply, but those are not definitive answers.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

That iPad 2 looks like its running nicely (Clean install) , and I assume that is beta 2.. that should give you an idea of what a clean installation of iOS 9 on an A5 iPad Mini 1 will be like.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
So you want to needlessly turn your device to dust and you don't seem to understand that a Beta is for testing and NOT for daily use yet.

It's crystal clear that it isn't ready yet to fully support iOS 8 apps, that's why developers need to/usually update them a few days before the public release. Some data and services will be struggling to run where they can't even run.

I DO know beta is not for DD. I install it because I want to know how those new features work, and I want to spend some of my free time tracking Apple software development. That simple.

Compare OS performance in clean install is fine, but this could probably only reflect the best performance of that OS, not real time performance. Some of my favourite apps are broken, while others may not work properly. I expect this when using apps.

For common users, real world performance is more practical and more valuable than clean install performance, although I do know optimising for this is much more difficult.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

That iPad 2 looks like its running nicely (Clean install) , and I assume that is beta 2.. that should give you an idea of what a clean installation of iOS 9 on an A5 iPad Mini 1 will be like.
Hmm. Since I don't know what would happen if I simply erase anything on my iPad mini, I don't want to do a clean install now, unless I could use a dev account.

I can notice the performance on my iPad mini is improving after installing beta 3, and not so bad in beta 1. iOS 9 should be able to bring everything back to a normal state when beta 5 or 6 comes out and even the final version is out.

Reactions: ZebraDude

bow-one

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2015
Expect bugs and hiccups with beta softwares. If you want a stable experience, stick to 8.4.

Last edited:

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California

We all know it's a beta. The iPad mini 1 wasn't much better on 8.3 or 8.4 and is showing its age.
I haven't seen your response either, only your trolling. It's pretty clear from the responses that iOS 9 is worse than 8.4.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
We all know it's a beta. The iPad mini 1 wasn't much better on 8.3 or 8.4 and is showing its age.
I haven't seen your response either, only your trolling. It's pretty clear from the responses that iOS 9 is worse than 8.4.
It's not clear because no one wh replied is run running a clean install of iOS 9 - iOS 9 being in beta looks to be handling being restored from backup quite poorly.

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia

So this is this is the internet lately? Everything is trolling? Better check what i posted or even your head, because there's something you're not getting clearly.

Yeah, from those posts we can tell that iOS 9 is worse than 8.4. But as oldmacs said, no one replies with the detail of "clean installation" or "restored backup". There's 2 or 3 videos showing a good performance on a clean install. And even one showing decent performance on a restored one. But the only way to know for sure is using the GM when available. WITH A CLEAN INSTALLION.

So we'll have to wait. Even if it's really bad on the final version, 9.1 and on will probably enhance the user experience. Only time will tell...

Reactions: oldmacs

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
So this is this is the internet lately? Everything is trolling? Better check what i posted or even your head, because there's something you're not getting clearly.

Yeah, from those posts we can tell that iOS 9 is worse than 8.4. But as oldmacs said, no one replies with the detail of "clean installation" or "restored backup". There's 2 or 3 videos showing a good performance on a clean install. And even one showing decent performance on a restored one. But the only way to know for sure is using the GM when available. WITH A CLEAN INSTALLION.

So we'll have to wait. Even if it's really bad on the final version, 9.1 and on will probably enhance the user experience. Only time will tell...
Add some useful information to the thread instead of attacking others for commenting and I'll take it back. Otherwise, it is what it is.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
It's not clear because no one wh replied is run running a clean install of iOS 9 - iOS 9 being in beta looks to be handling being restored from backup quite poorly.
Well, I updated the iPad mini the same way as my iPhone 6 and have no issues on the iPhone. I can't be bothered to do a clean install in the near term.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Well, I updated the iPad mini the same way as my iPhone 6 and have no issues on the iPhone. I can't be bothered to do a clean install in the near term.

But you can't really use those experiences as saying what the iPad mini 1 is like under iOS 9 as Apple hasn't fixed the backup and restore yet... Of course you're not gonna have issues as much on the iPhone 6, as it is a much faster device, that can handle the extra load caused by issues in iOS 9 upgrades.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.