Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tom35709

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2015
I installed iOS 9 public beta on my 5th generation iPod touch last night, and it is fantastic - it actually seems faster, even though it is a beta. However; when swiping to the left, i cannot reach the proactive area - it doesn't seem to exist, and neither does the news app. There is also no battery power saving mode. Now, I know this is a beta, so I should expect things like this, but it seems that I am the only one without these things. Is it just because is it an iPod Touch? Please help!

stusgt67

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2015
United Kingdom
Thank you, any idea about proactive?

I just found the instructions below in the Apple Support forums. I tried it and it works. I now have Siri Suggestions.

---------
I was able to get the suggestions working again by:
  1. Disabling them in Settings>General>Spotlight Search>Siri Suggestions.
  2. Hard restart of device. (Hold Power and Home buttons until device restarts. NOT DFU RESET)
  3. Re-Enable in Settings>...Siri Suggestions

Try this.

People have said that it works. I have the same problem on the iPad 3. I don't have the iPad with me at work so i can't test.

Suspended
Dec 17, 2013
My understanding is that A5 devices aren't getting Proactive:

iPhone 4s; iPod touch 5; iPad mini; iPad 2; I assume iPad 3rd gen.

I imagine this explains why Apple chose to get rid of the iPad mini mid-cycle and why the iPod touch is being updated very soon - the A5 isn't getting the big iOS 9 features.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.