Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zuerione

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Hi everyone!

I've been having a problem that's really been bugging me ever since iOS 9 came out, and I wanted to know if anyone has found a way to fix this. First of all, it needs to be said that I often type in German, where nouns are always spellt in capital letters. My setup is iOS 9.3.1, UI language English U.S., keyboard and hardware keyboard set to Swiss German, Auto-Correct/Capitalization/Caps-Lock OFF. The keyboard used to reproduce this does not make a difference (weather logitech or Apple MK2, or even through Smart Connector etc.). Neither does the language setting of the iOS keyboard. Now, when I type, at first everything seems normal. When I want to replace a letter I had previously typed in capital (eg. 'I asked John to buy milk' to 'I asked him to buy...') the issue starts. iOS forces that the replaced letter be typed in capital again. In my example, him would always be automatically be spellt Him. The shift key even visibly locks on the onscreen keyboard after backspacing the erratious capital letter. All of this although the Auto-Capitalization feature is explicitly OFF. It happens regardless to what language I set the Keyboards. The only way to prevent this from happening is either to backspace furter than the Cap letter or to TURN ON AUTO-CAPITALIZATION. Latter, on the other hand, it comparably irritating as it starts spelling stuff in capital which I don't want it to. Perhaps all of this might seem to some as a minor issue, but it needs to be said, if you type a lot and mainly on computers (in addition to the much more frequent use of capital letters in German than in English), it can become very, very irritating over time if you use your iPad as a laptop replacement as Apple suggests. I tested this on 9 different iPads and subsequently contacted Apple regarding the issue. The lousy support chap suggested my settings were wrong and after replying only every ten days to my e-mails he said he could not reproduce the issue. I don't believe that is possible as my friends have the exact same issues and after testing, and I have confirmed this happens even when everything is set to U.S. English. A search on the Internet reveals nobody has commented on this issue. Only some posts regarding an iPad Pro caps key bug in iOS 9.2... I am really interested to hear other peoples experiences regarding this, and if a way has been found to make this stop...

Many thanks!

Reactions: xoAnna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.