Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
Go to Settings -> iCloud -> Storage -> Manage Storage -> Tap on your "This Device"

Turn off backups for Photo Library and Whats App. These two are Biggest culprits. See if there is any other app which has huge size because that whole size will get uploaded to your iCloud backup. Disable any such app hogging huge space.

Example. I have Qfile app by Qnap which allows me to download video or movies from my home NAS directly to my iPad for viewing. I downloaded 1 GB TV episode to it. Guess what? My ISP logs showed 1 GB uploaded everyday even when there was no one home. That iPad was backing it up everyday like crazy.

This might even be a secret deal between carriers and Apple to make devices consume more data and make customers pay data charges.

Reactions: Altis

FReDcc

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2015
Came across this post while looking for answers for the exact same problem.

"System Services, General" was contributing to 3-400MB of data.

Thought I would post what my issue/solution was.

I already had Wifi assist turned off, so I knew it wasn't that.

It turned out to be Whatsapp, doing it's routine weekly backup (time stamp matched my Data manager app).

This was never done over cellular data before, but since updating to iOS 9, it has been uploading via iCloud Drive (which has the mobile data on/off switch).

Which also explains why the data is not being recorded in mobile usage under 'Whatsapp' and instead is under System Services, General.

Turned off the iCloud Drive mobile switch now.

Reactions: Altis

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013

It turned out to be Whatsapp, doing it's routine weekly backup (time stamp matched my Data manager app).

This was never done over cellular data before, but since updating to iOS 9, it has been uploading via iCloud Drive (which has the mobile data on/off switch).

Which also explains why the data is not being recorded in mobile usage under 'Whatsapp' and instead is under System Services, General.

Thanks for sharing the advice.

The Cloud will often treat itself like there's no data limits and eat it all up.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Since updating to iOS 9, I have noticed my data usage is much higher than normal. I looked in Mobile Data usage and found "General" under "System Services" to be extremely high. And because it is "General", I have no idea what is using up this data.

Anyone else experiencing this? Or have any idea how I can stop it?

View attachment 582488

More than half your data was from the personal hotpot.

What you expect?

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron

Apple icloud backups are incremental. That means only files that are changed are backed up and even then, only the changes in the file are backed up. Icloud doesn't do full backups daily.

DipShady

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2016
Hello. I think I found the culprit, at least for me. It was WhatApp backing up since it's been a while I connected to WiFi. My suggestion would be to turn off Use Mobile Data under iCloud - iCloud Drive. It's the last option, right at the bottom of the page. Hope it helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.