Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rontie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
The fact that Apple has decided to make the video experience on the iPad seemly purposely unpleasant is really baffling. This new UI for video playback was first seen with the introduction of music videos in Apple. I was worried about this at the time but hoped that others would squawk about it before Apple got carried away. Now with iOS 9 having been delivered, the Podcast app has followed suite and no longer allows you to view video playback in fullscreen. Worse though, to add insult to injury, they insist on white, bright, thick bars above and below, with a slue of little controls and a steadily scrolling title to top it all off. So if the fact that your video now plays back at half the size isn't enough of a buzz kill, all the other distractions are sure to get to you. It is a literal pain to watch now and that is really a disappointment.

I like the idea of using Apple apps where I can, I already own Downcast but still prefer to use Podcast.app even if it has always been a less rich of an app. But this is too much of an impediment to the overall daily podcast experience and I truly hate it.

This doesn't seem like an oversight, but as to why this is the new strategy for UI design is beyond me, but clearly the user experience is being overlooked for whatever other agenda is being played out here.

P.S. I do love the pic-in-pic though... I have always wanted this while watching my podcast as often they are providing info that I want to note or further google. Credit where credit is due, so thank you Apple for this, but please be sensible and correct the design of video playback on the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.