Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azr25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
City Of God
I was wondering if any one could give me some ideas on how to fix my phone. Currently when i turn it on I can only see a tiny horizontal bar of my screen is visible. I can not get the screen to respond to touch to unlock it and reset it. Trying to let it die now and recharge. PLEASE HELP?!

Asator

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2011
Australia
1. Hold down the home and power button

2. Once you see the apple logo, let go of both buttons and hold down the volume up button until you see your lockscreen.

Reactions: scapegoat81

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I'm not convinced the JB "broke" your screen.

If the tip above does not work then pretty much anything else could lose the jailbreak status.

My priority would be to not worry too much about the JB status and try all avenues including restoring it via iTunes.

If it is unrecoverable by self troubleshooting then my next step would be the  store.

faded.memories

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2011
Something like iExplorer might help you jar it out of that, maybe....been a while since I used it but it can toggle into out of DFU mode or something like that....

More likely you have a hardware problem. Might need to open it up and disconnect the screen entirely and see what it does afterwards. (Opening the phone and disconnecting the battery is also a proven method to power down when buttons aren't responsive!)

Some photos of your screen might help determine if you have a hardware issue.

There is a very slight chance there is a software issue related to the screen. By any chance is the LCD/Digitizer in your phone a 3rd party replacement? I went around in circles on replacing a screen on my 4S once and I eventually discovered that the screens can actually require particularly firmwares on the phone to work properly.

My instinct on this one says your screen and digitizer has physically failed. They are somewhat independent, so even if the image isn't displaying right the fact that you can't swipe to turn off suggests the touchscreen is bad as well.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just curious…Did you install the Upscale tweak and mess with screen resolution on your phone by any chance?

azr25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
City Of God
I was using snapchat when it crashed, then when i locked and unlocked it I couldn't see anything on my screen. its blacked/greyed out.

azr25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
City Of God
Something like iExplorer might help you jar it out of that, maybe....been a while since I used it but it can toggle into out of DFU mode or something like that....

More likely you have a hardware problem. Might need to open it up and disconnect the screen entirely and see what it does afterwards. (Opening the phone and disconnecting the battery is also a proven method to power down when buttons aren't responsive!)

Some photos of your screen might help determine if you have a hardware issue.

There is a very slight chance there is a software issue related to the screen. By any chance is the LCD/Digitizer in your phone a 3rd party replacement? I went around in circles on replacing a screen on my 4S once and I eventually discovered that the screens can actually require particularly firmwares on the phone to work properly.

My instinct on this one says your screen and digitizer has physically failed. They are somewhat independent, so even if the image isn't displaying right the fact that you can't swipe to turn off suggests the touchscreen is bad as well.
Phone is new, just bought this iPhone 6s a couple days ago

azr25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
City Of God
  • "This device isn't eligible for the requested build" Was given this message when I tried to restore it from recovery mode. Screen is 100% not visible not, can only tell slight brightness change when phone is on. Don't know what to do at all.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Forget the jailbreak, download 9.2 IPSW for your iphone to your desktop and try DFU restore. If it doesn't help, then straight to Apple Store for replacement....

azr25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
City Of God
When I look at my phone screen through QuickTime I can see everything put physically I cannot see the phone screen it is blacked out, and the screen is not responsive so i cannot unlock it.

azr25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
City Of God
Forget the jailbreak, download 9.2 IPSW for your iphone to your desktop and try DFU restore. If it doesn't help, then straight to Apple Store for replacement....
Will they replace my phone even though its jailbroken?

azr25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
City Of God
OK, just follow this tutorial:
http://www.iphonehacks.com/put-iphone-in-dfu-mode
When in DFU press SHIFT on you keyboard and hit restore in iTnes. Window will pop up....find downloaded IPSW and go.
I was in DFU and pressed shift on my macbook, and the restore in iTunes but i was not given a pop up window to select downloaded IPSW it just attempted to restore and I was given the same message"This device isn't eligible for the requested build"

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
That's OK :)...SHIFT is for Windows, OPTION is for MAc

Try couple of times, but error 1 is usually hardware issue.....so, replacement it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.