Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhino89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
Has anyone else tried the public beta on 1st gen iPad air? For all the "stability" that was touted at the keynote, I'm very disappointed to see that the app switcher and safari are plagued by lag and jitteriness. Even if you turn off transparency and reduce motion, it's still not very pleasant. Anyone have a similar experience? Is this to be expected given it's a beta - although a public beta now... Any thoughts on whether there's a chance of it being smoothed out, historically-speaking with possibly other betas that were terrible with UI at this point?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Has anyone else tried the public beta on 1st gen iPad air? For all the "stability" that was touted at the keynote, I'm very disappointed to see that the app switcher and safari are plagued by lag and jitteriness. Even if you turn off transparency and reduce motion, it's still not very pleasant. Anyone have a similar experience? Is this to be expected given it's a beta - although a public beta now... Any thoughts on whether there's a chance of it being smoothed out, historically-speaking with possibly other betas that were terrible with UI at this point?
Yes, it's likely because of being in beta.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Yeah it is quite bad on my mini 2 as well. But then again, it's even bad on my iPhone 6. Control Center is always ~30FPS on both. App Switcher is horrible on my mini 2, iffy on my 6. It's a beta though, I always hear horror stories about them, so I'm sure it will be in better shape by the time the public version is released. Keep reporting with the Feedback Assistant, and be patient.

YodasMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
I'm running the PB on my Air 1 and have not noticed any of the lag or jitter you are speaking of. It's actually running pretty well for a beta in my opinion.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Yup. It's terrible on my Air 1
It is a beta, report the jitters, I have. I love the keyboard with the caps and lower case letters :D

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I'm running the PB on my Air 1 and have not noticed any of the lag or jitter you are speaking of. It's actually running pretty well for a beta in my opinion.
You must be blind because on my mini 2 I did a clean install and even with 2 apps on the iPad, several hours later, it was still a mess.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
It is not because iOS 9 is a beta, it is slow and jittery because, in the mind of Tim Cook, the iPad Air 1 is old tech, and you need to buy the latest hardware. All of you are fooling yourself if you think an iPad Air 1st gen will ever run smoothly on iOS 9. Wake up, people. All the older minis are going to be slow and jittery, and remain that way.

This message was created on an iPad Air 1st gen with a JB iOS 7.1.2, and i am wise enough to never upgrade this device past this os.

Tim Cook, YET AGAIN, is trying to fool us all with this iOS 9 is "stability and speed" type of OS update.

I have already been fooled once by Tim Cook, never again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.