Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pika2000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
iphones are usually known for their better battery life than Android, even compared to Android devices with larger batteries. There is also standby time, the battery drain when the phone is not used. I could comfortably say that iPhones are superior, until I experienced Marshmallow vs iOS 9.

I have a 6S and a 5, both on iOS 9 (9.2.1 as of my subjective observations). When they are on standby, they seem to be sipping battery a lot more than they're supposed to. My iPhone 5 can barely last two or three days (connected to wifi) before the battery is completely drained. Its battery was replaced by Apple last year as part of the replacement program, so it's not due to old battery. I can also observe my 6S not lasting much longer, maybe additional day or two. This is without Facebook app installed. In contrast, my iPad mini 2 has no problem lasting for days (obviously due to larger battery).

I also have Andoroid phones. Prior to Marshmallow, their standby battery life were not any better, as expected. But after I put marshmallow, they can last for at least 4 or 5 days easily with plenty of charge left (unused, connected to wifi). I have tested on OnePlus One and Xiaomi Redmi 1S, and they both still keeping significant amount of charge after 4 or 5 days. I can see them even lasting for 7 days. This is quite a feat imo.

I believe on usage time, my iPhone's would still be superior. However, Marsmallow forces me to think. Why can't my iPhones do as well, or better? Or is my observation an anomaly? I didn't play with any power settings (I didn't put any devices mentioned here on their respective low power mode).

Interested in hearing other people's experiences.

Reactions: grgsiocl

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I use to be able to stick an iPhone 6 into low power mode and it wouldn't drop over night. Last night I left my 6S+ in DND and LP mode and still lost a few %.

Also noticed a flurry of FB messages, which is not how it's meant to behave. Something isn't quite right and it began with 9.3 for me.

Reactions: grgsiocl

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
My VZW Note 5 sips way too much battery on standby since updating to Marshmallow. Rather disappointed with it lately and just sold it as my SE will be here tomorrow. No way should my Note 5 be dropping 10% over night just sitting there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.