Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how to debug this error? One of our internal sites is generating this error when you perform a certain action, and I'm strugging to find details on how to debug it. Most articles tell you how to clear the cache, but it's not a phone-specific issue (it happens on every phone I've tried).

If I connect to a Mac and use Safari's Web Inspector, then it boots me out of the inspector when I perform the problematic action. The error does not occur at all in the iOS Simulator, and does not occur on desktop Safari either.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next. The site in question is one of those horrendous "enterprise" systems that's been built up over the years so I really don't fancy line-by-line manual debugging!

Help! :)

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how to debug this error? One of our internal sites is generating this error when you perform a certain action, and I'm strugging to find details on how to debug it. Most articles tell you how to clear the cache, but it's not a phone-specific issue (it happens on every phone I've tried).

If I connect to a Mac and use Safari's Web Inspector, then it boots me out of the inspector when I perform the problematic action. The error does not occur at all in the iOS Simulator, and does not occur on desktop Safari either.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next. The site in question is one of those horrendous "enterprise" systems that's been built up over the years so I really don't fancy line-by-line manual debugging!

Help! :)
This error can be caused by many things. I'm really just guessing without access to the actual code. First, make sure you are updated to the latest iOS. In the past this was a webkit bug; hopefully not resurfacing with iOS 10.1. If you have the chance you could check with 10.2 to see if the error still exists.

If it is happening on several iPhones, everytime, it leads me to the same conclusions you have reached.

1) It is either the webpage using old / deprecated scripts
2) iOS browser bug

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I just updated my iPhone 6 to 10.1 (I didn't realise that it was out, so thanks for that) but it didn't help. I think I might just take the easy way out and tell the user to use a real computer :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.