Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CLT2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
When tapping on a link like Amazon or Facebook it seems to always open Safari instead of the App installed. How do I get it to always open the app instead?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Your title says the opposite thing than your main post says.
And you cannot change it forever. If your app is not recognised then it will not be redirected to app.

CLT2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
So basically there isn't anything I can do in the settings to always open Amazon or Facebook? I sometimes get the banner at the top in safari for Amazon shortcut to open it and that is nice but Facebook doesn't do that. By now I thought iOS was smart enough.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
So basically there isn't anything I can do in the settings to always open Amazon or Facebook? I sometimes get the banner at the top in safari for Amazon shortcut to open it and that is nice but Facebook doesn't do that. By now I thought iOS was smart enough.
Facebook is notorious enough for their apps. So don't put it at the same stage to compete. Amazon is a bit funny though, and I know nothing about their apps.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Doesn't quite seem like it's iOS that's really ultimately responsible for this as much as the app developers "linking"/registering their apps to do this kind of thing if they want to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.