Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
No data needs to be saved or recovered from the device in question.

I was just given an iPad 4 that was jailbroken sometime throughout its lifetime. It seems to be running Apple's iOS now, but I need to be sure that all of the unauthorized code has been removed form the device. I am totally in the dark regarding jailbreaks, so I am asking for advice here...

Once an Apple device has third party firmware / iOS bits loaded onto it, is it possible to rid the device of the non-Apple
bits?

My goal is to use this iPad as a TRUSTED device that I can do banking on, store passwords, my Apple ID, personal documents, photos etc. I want to be one hundred percent sure that this device is only running Apple firmware and iOS, and that no third party code lives on the device.

If the iPad had been loaded with a third party firmware, at any point in it's life, what would be the correct procedure to completely rid the device of this code? A restore via iTunes? Would that be thorough enough? Could I possibly infect my computer if the iPad has compromised firmware / OS code on it?

Is there a way to determine if the device was ever jailbroken? It was given to me erased, and on what appears to be the iOS setup program.

All advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I am doing research on my own, but I want to hear the opinions of the people here in the forums as I often get great insight from fellow community members, and this is a critical issue to me - I would rather leave no stone unturned :)

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
There was a tool called SysSecInfo specifically designed to help determine if a device is jailbroken or not. Now it has been pulled from App Store. This utility should be able to help you determine if your iPad 4 is clean or not, if you can find someone still keep its app ipa file.

Other than that, no way we customers common use can perfectly clean and wipe out flash drive and install iOS over it, like we often do to reinstall Mac OS X on a Mac.

cebixd

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2015
Croatia
Theres is no way to know that. As far as i know. Once you do a clean restore its should clean everything, i mean everything.
On android you can know if the device was rooted but not on the iPhone

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Do you think that it I brought it into an Apple store, they would be able to do a diagnostic test and tell me?

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
They cant know if the device was jailbroken or not

So the bottom line is that even if I do a complete restore, using iTunes, and set it up as new device, there could be some non-Apple code that remains on the device?
[doublepost=1470624582][/doublepost]
DFU restore will clean the device completely.
Thats right

Oops. Sorry I missed these posts. I will google how to properly do a DFU restore.

Just to put my mind at ease... If I do a DFU restore, is there any chance of non-Apple code being left on the device when I am done?

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
The answer is none knows 100%

I understand your apprehension about this.

I can only say I've been JB'ing for years and used Internet banking etc on a JB and then restored to stock iPhone with no issues.

The only way as I see it is sell the device and buy one from Apple.

simon lefisch

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2014
Just to put my mind at ease... If I do a DFU restore, is there any chance of non-Apple code being left on the device when I am done?
If you do a DFU restore, it will be like pulling the iPad out of the box for the first time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.