Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOS 6 or Android 4.1?

• iOS 6

Votes: 176 52.1%
  • Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)

Votes: 162 47.9%

• Total voters

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Features hahah. Notice how Google wants to do EVERYTHING for people rather than do what a platform provider should do and just back up and let your apps do the hard work.

Meanwhile Apple creates Auto Layout so that I can have a UI that tailors itself smartly. Great if I want to address portrait vs landscape or or even account for text in some languages that are longer/shorter than others.

Apples Map has the ideal way to deal with Transit routes. Let the developers handle it rather than trying to funnel their hard work through a generic service (GTFS). Expect iOS Transit apps to be far better and more current

iCloud for easy document sync.

Accessibility settings that allow you to ensure that the child that is using the iPhone or iPad stays in the intended app

It's not even close. Most of the people at Google I/O are press that oooh and ahhh over everything. WWDC is about delivering features that people can earn a living of of.

No. It's because Google is a web company and doesn't understand how to deal with graphic and CPU pipelines. Apple's been doing it for decades with their OS and it shows. It's not about being locked down it's about knowing how to leverage threads and compute resources. Google is woefully outmatched here.

----------

LOL. You keep on believing that.

You are wasting your breath... The cheap Fandroid users who are jealous that they will never be able to afford an iPhone keep spouting all the rubbish they can to keep convincing themselves... Its alright... Don't break their bubble... It's bad manners... :p

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
You are wasting your breath... The cheap Fandroid users who are jealous that they will never be able to afford an iPhone keep spouting all the rubbish they can to keep convincing themselves... Its alright... Don't break their bubble... It's bad manners... :p

typical corporate apple fanboy hipster comment.

i like both ecosystems, i just prefer the OS that better suits my productivity needs, and it happens to be Android.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
typical corporate apple fanboy hipster comment.

i like both ecosystems, i just prefer the OS that better suits my productivity needs, and it happens to be Android.

Study after study shows Android users ARE cheap skates. They spend next to nothing on apps and purchases. That can't be denied.

It's not fanboyism, just simple economics.

Aug 26, 2008

Hmm...I buy all my phones off contract, and I am going to ditch my 64gb 4S (or rather, I already have) for a Galaxy Nexus, which I also bought off contract. And it's not a big deal at all.

Only really sad individuals buy into the iPhone-as-a-status-symbol way of thinking.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Makes sense - some popular apps that cost money on IOS are available for free on Android.

Study after study shows Android users ARE cheap skates. They spend next to nothing on apps and purchases. That can't be denied.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

Yeah because the best selling android phone right now (galaxy siii) is so cheap and the people buying it clearly can't afford an iphone. :rolleyes:

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Makes sense - some popular apps that cost money on IOS are available for free on Android.

Some...if you like advertising, and lots of it.

That is simply an admission of the fact they are cheap skates, and hoping the sheer number of them generates enough ad $$$ to replace the loss of a buck or two initially for the app.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky

um, i was referring to him saying that android users can't afford iPhone. Had nothing to do with apps.

le sigh. reading comprehension isn't strong in these forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

No, this reasoning does not hold water.

iOS generates more ecommerce than android.
iTunes is a multibillion dollar ecosystem while Google play is not even a 10th of that.
iOS generates more web traffic than android.
iOS generates more ad impressions than android.
iOS generates more revenue for Google than android.

Essentially iOS users are more engaged and using their device for more than calling and texting, while android use is akin to a feature phone, cheap in terms of buying apps and shopping online and smart phone illiterate.

Aftershocker

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
I prefer Ios but I would be tempted to try out Android (on a stock device, IE no skin) just to have access to a bigger screen. The new rumored iphone dimensions don't do anything for me, as I'd prefer the screen wider in portrait as well.

Probably never happen, every time I pick up and android device it feels cheep and plasticy, but you never know.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Yeah because the best selling android phone right now (galaxy siii) is so cheap and the people buying it clearly can't afford an iphone. :rolleyes:

I don't get why the people who use Android phones are referred to as cheap and can't afford a "real phone" like an iPhone. I've only owned a Galaxy Nexus for 2 weeks and went back to my 4S because it suited me better but I gave Android a try and I enjoyed it and even miss it a bit.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
What relevance? The same people who generally use iOS devices are the same people who waste thousands on itunes music. They don't know any better, and they don't know how to get digital media for free/directly from the creator, instead of paying apple a huge premium that rips off of developers and musicians.

Translation: iOS users believe folks should be paid for their work. I guess that's why developers flock to iOS. It almost makes sense!

Exio

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Translation: iOS users believe folks should be paid for their work. I guess that's why developers flock to iOS. It almost makes sense!

Yea except the margins that Apple takes away from musicians and developers is a greedy joke.

Exio

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
You think Apple's 30/70 split is a "greedy joke"? Just a question for ya, what do you think the split is on the Android side?

----------

8 months in, less than 11% of Android users on ICS

Yea, I do. Apple makes large margin's already off of their devices, they could definitely give back to developers a little bit. The 30/70 split is a large reason why we are starting to see more freeware apps. Also just a point, Google makes the majority of it's revenue through google searches and services on android, not on apps.

http://gigaom.com/mobile/why-google-isnt-worried-about-androids-revenue/

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Yea, I do. Apple makes large margin's already off of their devices, they could definitely give back to developers a little bit. The 30/70 split is a large reason why we are starting to see more freeware apps. Also just a point, Google makes the majority of it's revenue through google searches and services on android, not on apps.

You are comparing apples to oranges :rolleyes:

I know fAndroids are jealous of the fact that Apple is able to rake in such a large percentage of the profit in the overall phone market, with a relatively small percentage of the overall device pie. But let's try to compare apples to apples.

The 70/30 split is the same on Android as it is on Apple. (Yep, they copied that too!)

As for revenue - you are right. The problem with your assessment is the pesky little fact that Google actually makes more off iOS than it does Android!

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
I know fAndroids are jealous of the fact that Apple is able to rake in such a large percentage of the profit in the overall phone market

YEAH MAN, like the average consumer actually cares about how large Apple's profit margins are. Yeah bro, Android enthusiasts are totally jealous.

Get off the corporate fanboyism train bud, you're making yourself look like a tool who blindly supports a publicly trading company whose interest is at the behest of shareholders/investors.

And this goes both ways. Corporate fanboyism makes me go :confused:

geoffm33

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2010

What are the splits for the Android store? Isn't it 70% to the developer and 30% to the carriers? 70% = 70%, devs make out the same in either case right?

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
YEAH MAN, like the average consumer actually cares about how large Apple's profit margins are. Yeah bro, Android enthusiasts are totally jealous.

No, of course they don't. The average consumer wouldn't care about 99.9999% of what is discussed here. I'm talking to those here, the enthusiasts, who DO care about such things. Obviously.

Exio

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
You are comparing apples to oranges :rolleyes:

I know fAndroids are jealous of the fact that Apple is able to rake in such a large percentage of the profit in the overall phone market, with a relatively small percentage of the overall device pie. But let's try to compare apples to apples.

The 70/30 split is the same on Android as it is on Apple. (Yep, they copied that too!)

As for revenue - you are right. The problem with your assessment is the pesky little fact that Google actually makes more off iOS than it does Android!

I'm jealous because Apple rakes in more money? How does that affect me in anyway? As for your last point, that is true, but for sake of this argument, please explain how it's relevant?

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
What are the splits for the Android store? Isn't it 70% to the developer and 30% to the carriers? 70% = 70%, devs make out the same in either case right?

Yes, precisely.

But that's not how a fAndroid's mind works. It's kind of like how a certain "big company" can be bashed over and over, worked through the mill, but yet they [the other side] use the hell out of said company's products and services. And similarly, they [fAndroid's] see no hypocrisy in it.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
No, of course they don't. The average consumer wouldn't care about 99.9999% of what is discussed here. I'm talking to those here, the enthusiasts, who DO care about such things. Obviously.

The only people that WOULD care are those that have financial personal interest in AAPL stock.

An enthusiast w/o this can care less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.